Wheel Advise

Rio_10
Rio_10 Posts: 12
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have recently purchase a second hand Colnago CLX 3.0 which comes with a Shimano RS30 wheelset.
I am training for a half iron man so I wont be doing major millage, 100km tops.

I know these wheel are old (2010), if I purchase a decent wheelset nowadays I'm sure they will be better than the RS30s.
I don't really want carbon rims as I am worried about them cracking and I do not wan to spend major money. Any advice on what alloy rims to buy that are better than the RS30s?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    carbon rims won't crack.

i'd stick some carbonzone or farsports on it.

if you want to stick with ali rimmed then planet x or selcof (same same so just pick whichever branding suits you) and around your budget.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • If you don't want carbon then I'm not sure that spending several hundred quid on a new alloy wheelset would improve things greatly.
    I'm with MF here, modern carbon rim very rarely crack and if it did it's probably down to the rider doing something stupid with them.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Campag or Shimano? As it's a Colnago Zondas might fit your requirements?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Rio_10
    Im a noob to this. I think you guys are right. I have alloy, so why would I go alloy again. The chainset is Shimano.
    I will take a look at some carbonzone or farsports.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the bearings are OK and the brake tracks still have their wear indicators, save your money and ride the RS30s.

I still have a pair of RS10s from 2007.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If youre doing a half ironman you could have got a tt bike for it. It would be faster.

You could spend £300 or so on wheels but you'd probably be buying a few minutes at most off the bike course.

And train for over distance too or you will fade as the race goes on.
  • Rio_10
    TT bike is very specific, its my first event (that distance) maybe if I keep doing them then I will invest in a TT bike.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    trek_dan wrote:

good price those that there be see.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I was also going to suggest Zuus. Great price and quality Chinese carbon wheels without the hassle of importing yourself, backed by UK warranty and customer service. The new models have some very nice specs. I have a set of 50s from 2015 with 13.5k miles on them, which are still my best wheels. The brake tracks are virtually unworn and they have never gone out of true. They ride well, are good in the wind, and wet and dry braking performance is absolutely fine with the cheap carbon pads from Wiggle. If I didn't already have these I'd get set of the new 50mm Pros with Bitex hubs at £449 although the 50mm Aeros are a steal at £359. 50s are great for general riding, but go deeper for TTs.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Wow - those Zuus wheels, that's a very good deal. For a TT or IM on a budget I'd be snapping those up.