520 Plus base mapping

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi anyone know if the 520 PLUS has Europe or even world wide base mapping,more you still have to replace the base map with downloaded open street maps for more detail?

I've gotten on well with my 520 but recently had to replace my local open street map files with tiles for Mallorca but it didn't work (no basemapping at all). Have now restored my previous open street map tiles, but wondered whether the quality and coverage of the basemapping was much improved on the 520 Plus? Possible Black Friday upgrade...

Cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you read DCR's 'howto' apply carefully, you'll get those maps for other areas.
    The 520 means you have to delete and apply maps as thee is limited storage.
    You must have missed out a step as the method works - honest, been swapping out maps for nearly 4 years now.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    There will be a worldwide basemap. The 520 plus has proper file space for mapping. If you buy one in Europe it will come with detailed Europe maps. You can add your own maps if you wish.

The 520 was never a proper mapping unit which is why it was so limited. The 520plus is a proper mapping unit.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks both. Sounds like the 520 Plus might take some of the thinking out of it. Ive successfully replaced the open street map tiles previously on my 520, to give better mapping when riding in other parts of the UK, but as JGSI says I must've missed out a step. I was going through the DCRainmaker instructions the night before the flight to Mallorca, so probably should've allowed more time. Downloaded the open street map tiles for Mallorca from the dutch site referenced by DCRainmaker ok too, but something didnt work long the way. I did try downloading those tiles, plus some very local uk tiles presuming the tiles didn't need to be adjacent to each other, if you know what I mean? Not sure if that's why I had the problem...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The Edge 520 Plus includes complete maps for the region in which you purchase it (much like a car gps) and can route to arbitrary places - it's basically like an edge 820 but with buttons instead of the touch screen interface.

This has the knock on effect that if you are travelling somewhere that the built in maps don't cover you have to either buy them from Garmin or download tiles from Open Street Map in the same manner as for any other garmin unit (but not the 520 as you don't have to replace the existing map).

There's some useful info on this thread here - https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sp ... tiple-maps

Notably, you can't fit the Europe and North America maps on the Edge 520 plus at the same time, there's a workaround on that link.

I've recently bought the vanilla Edge 520 as for me the routing/complete mapping didn't feel worth an extra 50% on the cost, although in due course I might come to regret that decision!

Would be nice if someone put together an android/iphone app that will generate map tiles for you and download them to your edge 520 over bluetooth/usb OTG cable. Perhaps one of those projects to look at one day.