Di2 9070 rear derailleur sounds but not shifting

cyclingcris
cyclingcris Posts: 4
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Hi everyone. First post here. let me give a quick introduction of myself. Im Cris, I live in southern California and Ive been cycling since I was 7. I started with a mountain bike and rode trails until I was about 15. Thats when my dad got a good deal on a pair of Trek Pilot 2.1’s and Ive been mostly on road bikes ever since. Just recently I bought a used S-Works Tarmac with the 9070 groupset. I was not sure what to expect out of it as this is the first S-Works and first Di2 groupset Ive owned. no complaints about the bike but long story short, the rear derailleur just stopped working.

Keep in mind that I put no more than 150 miles on it. I hadnt cleaned the chain and cassette yet and they looked a bit dirty so I decided to clean them (Ive been working on and around bikes for the last 8 years, I know my way around a bike). I took off the rear wheel and chain, cleaned them, put them back on and thats when the rear derailleur stopped working.

Now Im aware that many will say “use the search bar!”. I did. Found nothing on what was going on with my derailleur. When I click to shift up the cassette, the derailleur sounds like its working (Like a whirring sound) but not actually moving almost as if the small inner gears werent making contact. I tried doing the crash recovery, switching wires between left and right shifters, disconnecting and reconnecting the derailleurs cable, and charging it but did not succeed.

Am I missing something? Is there anything else I could try? Thank you in advance! :shock:

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sounds like the rear mech has had a bang and gone into lock down mode. The motor disengages to avoid the mech getting damaged and can be re-set by pressing the button on Junction A.

https://youtu.be/rUkKqNN7HVI
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Sounds like the rear mech has had a bang and gone into lock down mode. The motor disengages to avoid the mech getting damaged and can be re-set by pressing the button on Junction A.

Well thats the thing. Ive tried doing the crash recovery mode and not even then does it move. It does the same thing where it makes the sound but doesnt move. Im afraid to start to thinking the derailleur needs replacement?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:

Well thats the thing. Ive tried doing the crash recovery mode and not even then does it move. It does the same thing where it makes the sound but doesnt move. Im afraid to start to thinking the derailleur needs replacement?

I'd check junc A first. Do you have eTube set up to run a diagnostics check on the computer? That should say whether the rear derailleur is faulty. It could be you can save it by updating the firmware to it again.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

I'd check junc A first. Do you have eTube set up to run a diagnostics check on the computer? That should say whether the rear derailleur is faulty. It could be you can save it by updating the firmware to it again.

I checked junction A. I dont have eTube set up but after many hours of trying different tricks and methods, I decided to just take it to the lbs (in San Diego 2 hrs away from where I live since the actual lbs is mediocre at best). They checked it on the spot and determined that the derailleur had simply just failed as it wasnt in need of an update and it didnt have some electrical error. Just use and age from previous owner.