XFusion HILO Dropper Post Seat Slipping

geomickb
geomickb Posts: 147
edited November 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have just been given a dropper post and am having a small problem with it.

When I weight the seat hard, it can tip forward or back. How can I stop this? I have tightened it pretty tight but it still slips.

Cheers,

Mick

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I have no experience of that dropper post and its seat clamping design. If the bolts cannot exert sufficient clamping force to stop the saddle from slipping then the thing to do is to increase the friction between the sliding parts. I assume that the parts sliding are both smooth (or they would not slip). Get yourself some friction paste (also called assembly gel). This stuff is designed to increase the friction when clamping on to carbon components (like a stem onto a carbon bar) or onto thin walled alloy. I also use it on my seat post clamp to enable me to reduce the pressure on the dropper body. Dropper bodies are thin walled and contain lots of delicate components that need to move. They don't react well to an over tight clamp. So, friction paste will allow increased friction for the same clamping force (what you want), or to get an adequate friction for a reduced clamping force (what I want).

I use this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fin ... -prod30012

But you can get similar all over the place, maybe cheaper now.
  • geomickb
    geomickb Posts: 147
    Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. I found the original instructions and they suggest using something similar.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    geomickb wrote:
    Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. I found the original instructions and they suggest using something similar.

That sounds like it is a known fault with their design. I have not come across that before on a saddle (maybe I should get out more!). :)