Winter gloves

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking some gloves for the winter months, they dont need to be waterproof? what are you guys wearing?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Interesting thread, I am looking into this now.

Trying to choose between the flashy/expensive Dissent133 'system' which should be the last gloves I buy for a while

or

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=dhb+gloves

a bunch of DHB gloves of different thicknesses which are currently 40% off.

I commute 20 miles a day in pretty much all weathers so decent kit that I'll be wearing a lot is worth it to me, the flip size is the Dissent stuff is pretty spendy.
  • I've received a pair of https://www.merlincycles.com/sealskinz- ... 72125.html for ~£7 today, as something to possibly wear alone on milder days, or put under my Aldi winter or lobsters gloves bought two(?) years ago on chilly days.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I quite fancy trying the Sportful Sotto Zero gloves. Galibier Barriers might be a similar but less spendy option.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Galibier should meet all your glove needs, and at a very reasonable price. V happy with mine.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    avoid sealskinz normal gloves (i don't know what the inners as above are like) - utter rubbish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I've used Dachstein mitts - unbeatable in the winter. A bit expensive but complete barrier to cold and wet.

(Sealskinz socks are not much to write home about either)
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    FishFish wrote:
    I've used Dachstein mitts - unbeatable in the winter. A bit expensive but complete barrier to cold and wet.

Except when they get wet and then they’ll probably weigh more than your bike.
  • Matthewfalle
    FishFish wrote:

SOCK SHOCK!!!!!

Fishbum has actually written something that isn't total tripe.

Much as the MFs are actually further shocked to say so, we agree 100% with him - Sealskinz socks are rubbish.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    FishFish wrote:

SOCK SHOCK!!!!!

Much as the MFs are actually further shocked to say so, we agree 100% with him - Sealskinz socks are rubbish.
    The bit about Dachstein mitts is though. Very few folk wear them for winter climbing anymore. Next he’ll be suggesting get rid of your windblok/ Gortex tops and get yourself a Norfolk jacket.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

SOCK SHOCK!!!!!

The bit about Dachstein mitts is though. Very few folk wear them for winter climbing anymore. Next he’ll be suggesting get rid of your windblok/ Gortex tops and get yourself a Norfolk jacket.

normal service resumed then .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    FishFish wrote:

As used by Clint Eastwood in the Eiger Sanction. Great film.
    Not sure of how that kit pans out for cycling.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Gripgrab Polaris Winter Gloves are really great
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Planet X crab hand gloves are very warm.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PXLGWL/pl ... ter-gloves
  • My hands are broken.

I've tried every glove worth owning and I still get icicle fingers when it's below 10C. Rapha Deep Winter, 45NRTH Sturmfist 5, Castelli Estremo are the best but still inadequate. This is even when used with a merino liner or Defeet Dura glove as a liner.

The Dissent 133 systems sounds good but when you break it down it isn't really. A silk liner is inferior to merino for warmth. The outers are simply windproof/waterproof shells with no insulation and the mid-layer is a defeet dura glove which I already use and in my opinion isn't as good at insulating as something containing Primaloft or Polartec.

I need to move somewhere hot for Nov-March! :cry:
  • My hands are broken.

I've tried every glove worth owning and I still get icicle fingers when it's below 10C. Rapha Deep Winter, 45NRTH Sturmfist 5, Castelli Estremo are the best but still inadequate. This is even when used with a merino liner or Defeet Dura glove as a liner.

The Dissent 133 systems sounds good but when you break it down it isn't really. A silk liner is inferior to merino for warmth. The outers are simply windproof/waterproof shells with no insulation and the mid-layer is a defeet dura glove which I already use and in my opinion isn't as good at insulating as something containing Primaloft or Polartec.

I've no idea if any good but, I was looking at these on Wiggle and they look potentially quite interesting.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pro-sl-p ... of-gloves/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Hi, Ive got some Castelli Extremos and when its really cold I wear some silk liners which seems to do the trick, but that`s a expensive option, If i was you id buy the Decathalon 900 winter gloves with a liner, my mates got some and seems to be impressed.
  • Inside on a turbo then?
  • I've no idea if any good but, I was looking at these on Wiggle and they look potentially quite interesting.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pro-sl-p ... of-gloves/

They sound good but I can't afford to keep spunking money on gloves. Endura seems to offer a 90-day "no-quibble refund" though and Dissent 133 have 60-day ride and return. Hmmm.
    Inside on a turbo then?

I do turbo over the winter but I also cycle commute daily whatever the weather.
  • As MRS used to repeat endlessly, you need to layer up your hands.

Don't use gloves that are too tight fitting and get some £10 silk liners on underneath.
  • If only BR did a review page on winter gloves instead of the best time trialling helmets possibly after the tt season has ended. Hmmm! Is that just me with that view?
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    If your hands are as broken as you say no amount of insulation is going to work. Can you find some way to get an external heat source to them? The Mrs suffers from cold feet, absolutely no amount of insulation which is practical to wear will work for her, but disposable foot warmers do. Yes they're expensive and wasteful, but if you've got knackered circulation they might be the only option.
  • Might not suit but ski gloves come with heating built in. Actually I saw a pair of cycling gloves with heating in them on wiggle or Tredz I think costs nearly £100 IIRC. My mistake £175!!!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-extreme-cold-weather-heated-gloves/
  • I should point out that I've seen heated ski gloves for less money.
  • If only BR did a review page on winter gloves instead of the best time trialling helmets possibly after the tt season has ended. Hmmm! Is that just me with that view?

The problem is everyone's hands are different. Most of the gloves I've tried have lots of reviews that say "toasty warm" but for me they do nothing as my hands produce no heat.

I will say that silk is objectively not a good liner choice compared to merino or polartec.
    AKH wrote:
    If your hands are as broken as you say no amount of insulation is going to work. Can you find some way to get an external heat source to them?

I've used the disposable foot warmers before but not considered the hand type. It would definitely get expensive if used daily on the commute but could be an option for the longer weekend winter ride.

I once tried some Li-ion battery heated liners but they ran out of juice in about 2 hours and had huge bulky batteries in each wrist. :lol:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have you tried lobster style gloves? I find them to be a massive improvement on any of the normal style gloves I've tried on the coldest days.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    My hands are broken.

The point with the Dissent is that you get to change the different layers, compared to something like the Castelli or Rapha gloves which are the same price (or more) and you only wear them for a few months. The layered system should mean you get to wear them for a larger range of conditions.

10c really isn't very cold for most of those gloves, are you doing the basics like making sure your arms and body are properly warm and putting the gloves on before leaving the house, etc...
  • joey54321 wrote:
    10c really isn't very cold for most of those gloves, are you doing the basics like making sure your arms and body are properly warm and putting the gloves on before leaving the house, etc...

Of course. I have no issues with core warmth, it's purely the extremities that suffer. I've even replicated the Dissent "system" but with arguably warmer outers and it's still less than ideal around 5C and below.

I think it's just a physiological reality I have to accept. :(
  • Been wearing my new Sealskinz merino liner gloves under my dayglo orange Dafeet E-touch gloves this week, working pretty well.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I bought some Pearl Izumi Elite Softshell gloves (windproof, water-resistant) recently, and they were brilliant on a couple of days where the ambient temp was about 3C and the wind-chill equivalent about -3C.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BETF8ZW/
  • Been wearing my new Sealskinz merino liner gloves under my dayglo orange Dafeet E-touch gloves this week, working pretty well.

I envy your ability to have warm hands with that combo below 10C. Not even a windproof layer!