Why do we laugh less as we get older ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited November 2018 in The cake stop
I remember as a kid I loved nothing more than a good laugh - it got me in endless trouble at school - but I wouldn't change a thing.
Now watching my my own kids in their late teens early 20's - I recall then giggling at bath time, meal time, it seemed they couldn't stop laughing ?

So where does all the laughter go ? - do the responsibility of house/cars/work/relationships squeeze that laughter out of us ?

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    Yes.

:lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingrollo
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yes.

:lol:

OK \ Close thread
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Ditto.
    I like the word ditto. It doesn’t make me laugh, but it does make me smile.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I don’t always achieve or live by these words all the time but I do try as often as I can

From my Grandad:-

“The trouble with life today is it isn’t silly enough, we need more silliness in the world!”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    kingrollo wrote:
    I remember as a kid I loved nothing more than a good laugh - it got me in endless trouble at school - but I wouldn't change a thing.
    Now watching my my own kids in their late teens early 20's - I recall then giggling at bath time, meal time, it seemed they couldn't stop laughing ?

So where does all the laughter go ? - do the responsibility of house/cars/work/relationships squeeze that laughter out of us ?

You've seen it all before.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    not round these parts - still giggling and laughing the vast majority of the day, the remaining spent sleeping.

perhaps you need a change from your current situation or to stop taking things so seriously. you seem to come across in your posts as overly serious.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    not round these parts - still giggling and laughing the vast majority of the day, the remaining spent sleeping.

perhaps you need a change from your current situation or to stop taking things so seriously. you seem to come across in your posts as overly serious.

It was more a general observation than a problem to solve.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    kingrollo wrote:

Still so serious?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I think I laugh more and at things that are just as daft as when I was younger, both with my family and when out with my mates. All to do with the situation you're in and the pressure you're under, if you've got this under control, no reason to laugh less. If you're laughing less somethings not quiet right, whether it's changeable is another matter.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Matthewfalle
    kingrollo wrote:

this answer i think sums up the problem......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:

this answer i think sums up the problem......

Even though I said there wasn't a problem ?

It "Was" just a bit of chit chat
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Yes, but you're Bikeradar's version of Jeffrey Goines. :lol:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kingrollo
    Ben6899 wrote:

I d have thought Sheldon Cooper myself. :lol::lol:
  • Matthewfalle
    Ben6899 wrote:

git :)

but at least you've got the not insane part right. its not the MFs, its everyone else.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm still laughing. Wossamarra with you miserable old gits?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I'm laughing more than ever. With forumites like Fishbot, Bungle and Tetramuncher/bottomkiller it's difficult not to...
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    crispybug2 wrote:
    I don’t always achieve or live by these words all the time but I do try as often as I can

From my Grandad:-

“The trouble with life today is it isn’t silly enough, we need more silliness in the world!”

Isn't Brexit enough for him? After all it is very funny, here are some jokes:

VOTERS: we want to give a boat a ridiculous name
    UK: no
    VOTERS: we want to break up the EU and trash the world economy
    UK: fine

“Why does Britain like tea so much? Because tea leaves.”

“Roy Hodgson has just been made Prime Minister. He has a fantastic record of leaving Europe swiftly.”

Hello, I am from Britain, you know, the one that got tricked by a bus

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/light-relief/jokes/ ... xit-jokes/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    kingrollo wrote:

This pretty much, it's the natural reaction to something often unexpected so the more you've seen / heard the less creates that 'shock' type response.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pross wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

This pretty much, it's the natural reaction to something often unexpected so the more you've seen / heard the less creates that 'shock' type response.

well don't live a boring life and get yourself into circumstances that give you new unexpected opportunities to laugh and experience new things.

remember - a life lived in fear is a life half lived

#nonewsteps

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    When can we expect one of the MFs to release a self-help motivational manual?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingrollo
    rjsterry wrote:

dont tell me theres more than one ?
  • Matthewfalle
    rjsterry wrote:

i'll get them to start the first draft soonest. this time next year Rodney they will be millionaires. And who will be laughing then, eh?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    kingrollo wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

dont tell me theres more than one ?

who knows? perhaps one of them is watching you, right now.

we know that there is at least one in the V-Man's garage with Mrs V's muffin, but who knows what other craziness is occuring.......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.