Anyone tried the £2-50 spd-sl cleats from eBay?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,659
    Try them and tell us all so we don't have to...

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Not the eBay ones you link to but I have used the Lifeline ones from Wiggle which are excellent. Work just as well, but seem to last longer than the originals.

However they used to hover around the £5-6 mark, so could be considered a budget alternative, but they are now £10, though gold/platinum discount brings that down.

I think you should try the eBay specials and report back, the BR public need to know. If you're afraid of them failing, then I might order a set for the shoes I use on the turbo, this is useful research.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    My bad experience here
    viewtopic.php?t=13079579
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    trailflow wrote:
    My bad experience here
    viewtopic.php?t=13079579

Thanks for that. Even after posting last night I thought, 'Why take a risk'? and paid Top Dollar (£11) for Shimano ones. Might try the Lifeline ones at some point.

I did a flying superman dive into the middle of a dual carriageway last week when sprinting away from the lights on the fixie, due to worn cleats. Don't want that to happen again.
  • I had a set, one snapped just from walking on them.. they didn't even get any pedal action. They seem to be a much more rigid plastic than the official ones.

It's a shame as they've been the only bit of chinese kit which have let me down.

For the price difference I wouldn't bother.
  • What are you doing with them to only have them last 6 months!?
  • Ive not tried the super cheap ones from eBay / Poundland, but I tried some ‘lifeline’ ones from Wiggle ( the red plastic ones with grey bits on ) and had the hook / nose break off, and left me with a very tricky ride to a shop that sold cleats.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Ive not tried the super cheap ones from eBay / Poundland, but I tried some ‘lifeline’ ones from Wiggle ( the red plastic ones with grey bits on ) and had the hook / nose break off, and left me with a very tricky ride to a shop that sold cleats.

Maybe it was the 40kg backpack that overloaded them?
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I bought a couple of pairs of non-branded SPDSL cleats in the pound shop. Haven't needed to try them yet
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd really not bother - some things aren't worth skimping on.