2019 Tour du Rwanda Pro Cycling Race Experience

bensonthetiger
bensonthetiger Posts: 12
edited December 2018 in Pro race
I made a bid at a charity auction without first consulting my fiance...enough said. I'm hoping a benevolent cycling enthusiast may see this and be interested in taking over my bid, which I honestly thought was a significant underbid.

For a $4500 donation OR BEST OFFER to Team Type 1 Foundation http://www.teamtype1.org, you will receive the following:

-Behind-the-Scenes Access to one of the world’s most challenging and breathtaking professional bike races -- Tour du Rwanda!
-Travel with Team Novo Nordisk as they compete in the Tour du Rwanda from February 24 - March 3, 2019*.
-Ride each stage before the pro race begins
-Be part of the excitement with two VIP passes for every stage (start & finish line)
-Hotel accommodations for all stages with Team Novo Nordisk at the official race hotel
-Dinner with the Team every evening
-Ride in the Team Novo Nordisk team car during one stage
-One Team Novo Nordisk and one Team Type 1 cycling kit
-Finish your unforgettable week in Rwanda with a silverback gorilla sightseeing excursion!

*Airfare not included.

Comments

• Okay, lowering price given shrinking timeline.

$2500 or best offer.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Okay, lowering price given shrinking timeline.

$2500 or best offer.

So how exactly will people ride the route before the race starts

And make use of vip passes to the start and finish

And ride in the team car.

Sounds like Africa to me....
  • Vino,

I'm emailing Amber, Team Type 1's Executive Director with your questions as well as some from someone else that's contacted me about the trip. I'll post the reply here once I hear back from her. If you'd like to contact her directly with any questions, shoot me a PM and I'll provide her contact info.
    • How exactly will people ride the route before the race starts?
    They get up early and ride before the stage start time. Stages don't start that early. They end at the finish line in time to watch the race finish.
      How do you ride the route and make use of VIP passes at the start and finish of each stage? At what point do you ride in the team car and do you sacrifice riding one leg or seeing start/finish during this stage?
    If you ride, you cannot use the VIP passes at the start. You get to the finish in time to use them at the finish. Rides in cars will be planned on site based on race schedule.
      When do I need to get there?
    The day before the race starts.
      Once I get to Kigali, when/where do I go to hook up with the excursion? Or will I be completely taken care of once I get to Kigali and until they drop me off?
    We will pick you up at the airport or send a drive and take you back to the hotel, as well.
      Pre-riding the stages - will they supply a bike?
    No. You need to bring our own bike.
      Which stage do I get to ride in the team car?
    Will be decided onsite or closer to race time once exact schedule is known.
      When is the Silverback expedition? (and more details, as in will Team Type 1 make all arrangements to get there)
    At the end of the race (unless something unique happens. TT1 handles those logistics.
      Aside from the flights to Rwanda, are there additional transfers/travel required by the individuals within Rwanda upon arrival?
    No
      Other than the flight, food and additional travel within Rwanda referenced in one question above, are there any other costs that someone interested in this trip should be aware of?
    Just the $30 entry visa upon arriving in Kigali and any money for incidentals and souvenirs.
      The only other question I had was if you knew if any portion of a donation for this trip would be tax deductible.
    Yes. I can speak with the individual about what exactly is deductible.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    Don't want to be the one to say this but I feel you've overbid on this one. By time you add on the flights that's a very expensive trip to a not great quality race but hopefully a good cause has benefitted. I think you're going to struggle to get someone to take it from you.
  • Pross wrote:
    Don't want to be the one to say this but I feel you've overbid on this one. By time you add on the flights that's a very expensive trip to a not great quality race but hopefully a good cause has benefitted. I think you're going to struggle to get someone to take it from you.

The fact that I'm no longer asking for what I bid speaks for itself. This is going to be most appealing toward someone who does charitable giving, a cycling and travel enthusiast as well as someone who would value conversation and time with professional cyclists.

But I take your point.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Let me add that Rwanda is one of the countries in Africa really worth visiting. Les milles collines - country of a thousand hills achingly beautiful but with a terrible past. It really is worth seeing just for the experience of this unique land and people. French of course, safe these days and lovely. The gorillas are in the NW of the country and maybe not worth the effort.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: