DA 7800 good deal ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
What is the DA 7800 groupset like ?

I have the opportunity to buy a near mint condition DA groupset (shifters/Mechs/chainset/brakes) for £150 - Seems like a steal to me but would it be a backwards step in terms of performance compared to my current Tiagra 4600 ?

Both have external gear cables which I am fine with and both are 10 speed so my current 10 speed 12-25 cassette should be ok.

The Tiagra I think is a few years newer than the DA also the Tiagra has covered 1500 miles (all of which were me) whereas the DA has apparently covered 3000 (dry miles only) - Given the condition (near mint) I am tempted to believe the chap selling, I know him quite well so I don't think he would screw me over and he is properly minted so I don't think he is bothered about getting a few more quid selling online etc

My bike is not really DA material (sub £700 Alu road bike) but if I can get DA 7800 for £150 then sell my old Tiagra stuff (again near mint) for say £100-£150 then I could end up with DA for literally nothing. I think the DA stuff looks really classy especially the chainset so I am very tempted.

I have heard that 7800 is one of the best shifting DA groups ever but I have never been lucky enough to have DA so not sure

Thoughts ? Anyone currently use DA 7800 ? Is it reliable and smooth shifting etc?

Comments