Buying from Germany, import tax/charge

bukowski102
bukowski102 Posts: 88
edited February 2019 in Road buying advice
Hello

Has anyone bought a bike from Germany or from a German bike company like canyon or bike discount de ?

I am interested in a bike that is much cheaper and have been told I will pay German tax and handling fees and I shouldn’t have to pay any import fees to buy from UK, anyone confirm this or had experience ?

Many many thanks

J

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Hello

Has anyone bought a bike from Germany or from a German bike company like canyon or bike discount de ?

I am interested in a bike that is much cheaper and have been told I will pay German tax and handling fees and I shouldn’t have to pay any import fees to buy from UK, anyone confirm this or had experience ?

Many many thanks

J
    You won't need to pay anything extra. It's called the single market. Unfortunately we are leaving it. Don't worry, I suspect that most of the people who voted for that didn't know that either.. :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    edited November 2018
    Get in quick. Could all change after March.

Edit - Yes, from bike-components.de. As easy as from Wiggle, no additional charges or taxes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neeb wrote:
    Hello

Many many thanks

J
    You won't need to pay anything extra. It's called the single market. Unfortunately we are leaving it. Don't worry, I suspect that most of the people who voted for that didn't know that either.. :wink:

Thanks for the reply, I know Luckily I have a Italian wife !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    She has a moustache?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    She has a moustache?

Eh? Come tua mamma?!

Scherzo
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hello

Many many thanks

J
    To give you recent experience - I have taken delivery in the last week of a new bike from Rose bikes based in Germany. Online price was quoted in GBP and there was a small delivery charge. No additional taxes or import duties to pay.

After Brexit? - who knows so I would act before next March if I were you
  • arlowood wrote:
    Hello

Many many thanks

J
    To give you recent experience - I have taken delivery in the last week of a new bike from Rose bikes based in Germany. Online price was quoted in GBP and there was a small delivery charge. No additional taxes or import duties to pay.

Thanks Arlowood, feel better about pulling the trigger
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    neeb wrote:
    Hello

Many many thanks

J

Well we did and that is what negotiations are for :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    She has a moustache?

Eh? Come tua mamma?!

Scherzo

Could be, but I'm not married to my mom.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    She has a moustache?

Eh? Come tua mamma?!

Scherzo

Could be, but I'm not married to my mom.

Never can be too sure, all the best
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    If it’s something Wiggle stock then they will price match most of the European stores including bike discount. There’s a huge list on the Wiggle website.
  • NorvernRob wrote:
    If it’s something Wiggle stock then they will price match most of the European stores including bike discount. There’s a huge list on the Wiggle website.

Ah good shout thanks for that :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    arlowood wrote:
    Hello

Many many thanks

J

what trigger are you pulling? are you buying a gat? i thought you were buying a bike?

i don't understand.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • arlowood wrote:
    Hello

Many many thanks

J

what trigger are you pulling? are you buying a gat? i thought you were buying a bike?

i don't understand.

Nice joke muddyfunster
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    philthy3 wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    Well we did and that is what negotiations are for :roll:
    :lol::lol::lol: :roll: