New brakes

dangardner27
dangardner27 Posts: 118
edited November 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

Roadie getting back into MTB and I need some advice please. I've got a 2012 Cannondale Flash 29er which has Avid Elixir 1 brakes which were fine but have given up the ghost - the fluid from the back brake seems to have leaked out all over the brake lever and corroded it!!

The brakes were never brilliant so wondering whether I should buy a replacement Elixir lever and get my LBS to repair or to bite the bullet and buy a new set of brakes (and I assume rotors) and have them fitted?

Or is it better to sell the Cannondale and invest in something with thru axles, 1 x etc?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    You can get a service kit for the Avid master cylinder with new piston, seals etc. Get a bleed kit from Epic Solutions and you're good to go. Lot cheaper then replacement of the full brake, brakeset or entire bike.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Elixir were always a bit rubbish. Just get some new Shimano Deore or thereabouts. No need for new rotors unless yours are borked.

Easy job to fit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Most Elixir brakes were rubbish. Great when they are working but a complete pain in the derriere if they needed any work doing on them.

The obvious, but most costly solution is to buy a new bike. However, realistically a new set of brakes as recommended by cd will get you back out on the bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • What do you want the bike to do? It might be fine depending on what you want to get out of it.

As for brakes - I've had Avid and now use Shimano - easier to bleed and change pads and you don't need anything too posh.

Of course if you need an excuse to buy another bike - crack on!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Get rid of the brakes and fit some shimano Deore.

Depends on what you want to do on the bike and where you ride?

I’d buy the new brakes and see what you feel when riding it, can always sell on the bike later.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies...

I live in Sussex so mainly riding up on the South Downs and local tracks. I fancy getting out more on it this winter and properly exploring where I live!!
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Another vote for Deores. I have M6000 and they saw me round Bike Park Wales without missing a beat. I popped in some Uberbike Race Matrix finned pads as I found the initial bite a little weak until hot, and these sorted that. Although I do struggle with them in the wet, so might have to look into that. But the brakes are great, just the pads that I've found you might need a little work with.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two