Canyon and Wahoo compatibility

maton
maton Posts: 13
Dear all,

I am considering to buy a smart trainer to keep training during the cold months, but I have so many doubts that I cannot take a final decision.

In particular, I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc with high profile carbon wheels and I am scare of damaging them. Should I opt for a direct drive or it is safe enough to use a wheel-on trainer? Consider that I do not have a spare wheel and the cost of buying one (if strictly necessary) might be likely to cover the difference in price between the two categories of trainer.

Moreover, I don't know how whether I need to buy a thru-axle adaptor in any case?

As of today, the two contenders are the Wahoo Kickr Snap and the Wahoo Kickr Core, but I am open to recommendations.

Thank you.

Regards,
Matteo

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Personally I'd go direct drive.

No worries about tyre wear and set-up issues. Just clip the bike on and away you go.
    Plus it will be more accurate and a better feel all round, oh and quieter too.
  • maton
    maton Posts: 13
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Personally I'd go direct drive.

No worries about tyre wear and set-up issues. Just clip the bike on and away you go.
    Plus it will be more accurate and a better feel all round, oh and quieter too.

Thanks for your recommendation. Actually, the noise is a very important element of evaluation for me as I live in a small apartment. Is the Wahoo Kickr Core very bulky? Is the thru-axle that comes with the bike compatible with the trainer or should I buy another one (in addition to the cassette)?

Thanks again.