ebay chinese frames

scottarm
scottarm Posts: 119
edited November 2018 in Cyclocross
anybody ever bought one or had experience of them/ reccoment a seller

I would always avoid them for the road but was considering one for next years cx, my reasoniong being if it fails I'll just end up in some mud vs a hard hit of tarmac at 20 odd MPH

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    why is it likely to fail?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I think it's related to the reason that carbon road frames apparently dissolve if you ride them in rain...

I can't recommend a specific CX frame, but I've dealt with a couple of very reputable manufacturers: I bought a very good TT frameset from HongFu Bikes, and I've bought several sets of carbon tub rims (for CX) from FarSports, which are very light and have been totally bombproof.

There are a couple of scare stories about dodgy Chinese kit floating around, but there are plenty of very good manufacturers out there, including the two above. The vast majority of "European" or "American" framesets are manufactured in China anyway. After-sales support may be problematic, but the OP presumably knows that. My TT frame is identical to at least two branded/marketed by European companies, I'm quite sure they're all made in the same factory, so it's effectively an unbadged one of those at half the price.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    TGOTB wrote:
    I think it's related to the reason that carbon road frames apparently dissolve if you ride them in rain...

I can't recommend a specific CX frame, but I've dealt with a couple of very reputable manufacturers: I bought a very good TT frameset from HongFu Bikes, and I've bought several sets of carbon tub rims (for CX) from FarSports, which are very light and have been totally bombproof.

There are a couple of scare stories about dodgy Chinese kit floating around, but there are plenty of very good manufacturers out there, including the two above. The vast majority of "European" or "American" framesets are manufactured in China anyway. After-sales support may be problematic, but the OP presumably knows that. My TT frame is identical to at least two branded/marketed by European companies, I'm quite sure they're all made in the same factory, so it's effectively an unbadged one of those at half the price.

The majority of European and American frames are made in Taiwan not China.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • tgotb
    robertpb wrote:
    The majority of European and American frames are made in Taiwan not China.
    You're right, apologies!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    but no one has said why they believe a frame from china will fail.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Everything fails eventually...
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Hongfu and Farsports get very good reviews in US forums. I have seen some Chinese carbon frames that are very thin around the bottom bracket area and therefore cheaply made.

Buyer beware as usual I guess but don’t think you can go far wrong with these two.
  • scottarm
    it all comes down to quality control and protection if it wear poor quality when dealing direct through ebay, thanks for the recommendations I'll check them out
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    By the time you've paid import taxes and handling fee (might get lucky but unlikely for a frame) its usually only marginally more expensive to buy from PX or Ribble.
  • scottarm
    if PX or ribble did a carbon frame with canti boses id probably just get one of them, but everythings disc
  • tgotb
    scottarm wrote:
    if PX or ribble did a carbon frame with canti boses id probably just get one of them, but everythings disc
    Ah. If you want a carbon frame for cantis, consider going second-hand; you should be able to pick up a nice Crockett, Crux or similar for £500ish (for the complete bike), or a frameset for a lot less; I saw a lovely Crux frameset go for £150 on eBay a couple of months ago. Or treat yourself - there's a nice looking X-Night frameset on there for £400 or offers at the moment (size-dependent, obviously).

You can often get frames that have been someone's pit bike, that are almost unused.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • trek_dan
    scottarm wrote:
    I see now. PX did a limited run of a frame called the 'Kakaboulet' for a while, but model seems to be discontinued. I've bought both my carbon Canti frames second hand, they are unfashionable now so not expensive at all. One is a Scott Addict and other an Ibis Hakkalugi, both were dirt cheap off Ebay.
  • scottarm
    looking a 54/56cm so I guess its a case of waiting till the right one comes along, just have to stck with the dolan Multi-x till then
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure what your budget is, but Paul Milnes' online shop currently has a number of carbon canti cx frames for sale...
  • tgotb
    scottarm wrote:
    looking a 54/56cm so I guess its a case of waiting till the right one comes along, just have to stck with the dolan Multi-x till then
    There's a 56cm Scott Addict on the "Cyclocross Buy & Sell UK" Facebook group. You have to ask to join the group, but you should get approved pretty quickly.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • trek_dan
    TGOTB wrote:
    scottarm wrote:
    There's a 56cm Scott Addict on the "Cyclocross Buy & Sell UK" Facebook group. You have to ask to join the group, but you should get approved pretty quickly.
    There's a full Ultegra carbon canti Addict 54cm on eBay for £600 posted. Same model as mine with the integrated seatpost coincidentally. Class frameset and bargain at £600.
  • scottarm
    cheers guys i'll have a look at both
  • tgotb
    Also a 54cm X-Fire (minus wheels) for £473 or offers. Ultegra mech, shifters look like Ultegra, but not 100% sure. That's a hell of a lot of bike for the money...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • scottarm
    thanks for the help guys just agreed on a Scott Addict frameset should be a nice bike when built!