Phone keys case

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 998
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
looking recommendations for a new case that will hold my phone, keys and some spare change, one that will pop into the back pocket of my jacket.
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    VeloPac RidePac (just Google it). There are loads of different designs and personally I think they’re great VFM at full price but they sometimes do ‘slight seconds’ at silly cheap prices.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I have one of these from Thom at Mamnick

https://www.mamnick.com/products/foul-weather-wallet
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have the Cakestop Caddy from here:-
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/VeloCulture
    Made from recycled inner tubes.
  • bikeit65
    I have one of these from Thom at Mamnick

Does the inside pocket have a zip? thanks.
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• ayjaycee
    FWIW inside the RidePac there’s a zipped pocket for money and a separate compartment for a phone on either side of the main compartment. It fits my Moto G6 easily.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i just carry a front door key on a bit of paracord around my neck and phone in back pocket with a fiver stuffed in there.

no need for work fob/car keys when i'm on with the fast group on my steed.

the same not possible for you?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    ayjaycee wrote:
    FWIW inside the RidePac there’s a zipped pocket for money and a separate compartment for a phone on either side of the main compartment. It fits my Moto G6 easily.
    I just got one of these and impressed with it. Separate slide pocket for a phone, with a soft microfibre face lining so your phone screen doesn't get scratched. Also got caught in a storm out riding over the weekend and kept contents dry.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bikeit65 wrote:
    looking recommendations for a new case that will hold my phone, keys and some spare change, one that will pop into the back pocket of my jacket.

Phone in a freezer bag, wrapped in a piece of kitchen roll. Keys (I just carry a single door key - how many keys do you need on a ride?) and change loose in back pocket. No need for a case - that's why you have pockets.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Luv2ride wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I just got one of these and impressed with it. Separate slide pocket for a phone, with a soft microfibre face lining so your phone screen doesn't get scratched. Also got caught in a storm out riding over the weekend and kept contents dry.

how will a soft case scratch your phone screen in order to necessitate the slide pocket?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Luv2ride wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:

how will a soft case scratch your phone screen in order to necessitate the slide pocket?

No idea, I have a Velopac my phone usually goes in screen facing inward plus it has a screen protector, plus I'd not really paid attention to the soft lining. got caught out in a downpour to over the weekend an had no issues.

FWIW I carry a phone, cash a card lip balm and a key plus the wipe that goes in the little fiddly pocket at the front. all zips up nicely but be aware a lot of larger screened phones will simply be too big.
  • I use a sandwich bag, don't see the need to spend £30 on a case, what's the point? Except if you just like having one or its for looks at the mid-ride coffee shop, which is fine too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ikea ziplock bags are great. Used them for years but got a velopac for Xmas and that's very nice. Will last forever.
  • Bikeit65 wrote:
    I have one of these from Thom at Mamnick

Does the inside pocket have a zip? thanks.

The inside pocket has a Velcro fastening.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I use the British Cycling 'ziploc' bag that came free after I completed a Strava challenge that entailed looking at a bicycle more than twice or something. Does the job in terms of keeping my phone dry, and I can use the screen through the bag. However I do like the look of the RidePac and have mentioned it to the elves as a possible what-do-you-get-the-guy-who-has-everything gift. I ride with a phone, small card wallet and garage door opener but on a sportive there's also the need to safely stash a bulky car key. At the moment these items get scattered around whatever pockets I am wearing but a neat little wallet for it all looks appealing.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Ikea ziplock bag if it’s wet, if not, no need for a bag. Might put my keys and lose change in zip pocket. Rapha jerseys are good for that.
  • bikeit65
    Update: i bought the Velopac case which arrived earlier and am impressed with it, thanks guys for all your advise.
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• ayjaycee
    You have chosen wisely.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S