27.5 frame with 26” wheels long term advice sort

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited December 2018 in MTB buying advice
Has any one ran 26” wheels in a 27.5 frame/fork that done it for a long time.

I’ve noticed a small crack in my nukeproof mega tr frame.

I’m looking at getting it repaired but if I do get another frame 27.5 I’d wanna reuse my good set of mavic 26” hope hub wheels to save a bit of cash and reuse perfectly good parts until I can buy new wheels etc.

Reading stuff online is there really that much difference, I doubt I’d notice it anyway.

Hopefully the bike can be fixed to allow me to save towards another bike or frame etc.

Just thinking about my options.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Shorter wheelbase, lower BB, maybe compromised geometry, but faster acceleration.

I'd put some tyres on that inflate bigger than most. The 2.2" Continental Trail Kings on a 26" wheel measure at 27.75". Schwalbe Rapid Robs (2.1") on a 27.5" measure 27.25". So depending upon which tyres, there may indeed be not much in it!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Erm, wheelbase will stay the same as it measured axle to axle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    Not much difference in it then.

I’m running maxxis minion tyres which are a bit chunky 2.35 I think.

Can’t believe frame has cracked, it’s only about a centimetre on a weld, know people who can weld but no one got a tig welder :(
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Rookie wrote:
    Erm, wheelbase will stay the same as it measured axle to axle.

Of course it is! Doh! :oops:

In fact it doesn't matter whether you measure from axle to axle or from where the wheels touch the ground, they are the same.

I blame rushing to make the post before dashing out. Not enough review time, but what a newbie mistake! :oops:
  • swod1
    any Dartmoor Hornet owners on the forum?

Looking at this as a replacement frame for the time being and can’t decide on size medium or large.

I’d be running it 26 to reuse my parts. Does wheel size now also decide frame size? I mean a 29er in medium and large in 27.5 etc or am I talking rubbish here
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheel size isn’t directly linked to frame size but you can’t really build an XS 29er due to toe overlap and even an S is marginal which is why some otherwise 29” bike models are 650B for the smallest sizes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • if you can find some, 26x2.6-2.8 might fit, giving the same diameter wheel, but more grip.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er