Muc-Off Alternatives

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited November 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
We all know the pink bike wash is TFR with some dye, does anyone know what the yellow chain cleaner is?

I'd like to set up a couple of tubs to use in my ultrasonic bath but the branded stuff is a bit pricey.
I'm planning on trying Putolene chain wax over the winter, so it would need to work with that.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    This stuff is brilliant. Been using it on my bikes for a few months now, all good, no detrimental effects. Spray it on the drivetrain, leave for a few mins, quick sprinkle with a hose and the dirt just falls off. Works as general cleaner on the frame as well. About a tenth of the price of Muc-Off.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense- ... /88668#_=p
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Ta.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Spraying neat degreaser onto your bike is eventually going to work it's way into the bearings and dissolve the grease in there :(
    Dave
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Chain cleaning I just use paraffin works great and cheaper than them bicycle chain cleaners.

That stuff from screwfix I’d dilute it a bit as your bearings will be wrecked it’s heavy duty stuff for cleaning like engine parts etc.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I used to be obsessive about my bike being clean at the start of a ride. Then I got a bill for a full set of pivot bearings and a new free hub and two sets of wheel bearings! That cured me. :shock: :lol:
  • crescent
    Sorry, should perhaps elaborate on the frame cleaning comment - I spray a diluted solution on to a cloth and wipe down the frame then hose it off - spraying neat on to a bearing is not a good idea.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Crescent wrote:
    Sorry, should perhaps elaborate on the frame cleaning comment - I spray a diluted solution on to a cloth and wipe down the frame then hose it off - spraying neat on to a bearing is not a good idea.

How does that work on a muddy or dusty bike? Won't you just scratch the frame? :shock:
  • crescent
    Hasn’t so far. It depends on how dirty the bike is. It’s a road bike so rarely gets caked in dirt. If it was that bad then I would hose it down first.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Depends on where you ride but make sure it doesn’t get near brakes but some gt85 on a cloth and wiped on the frame after cleaning helps avoid dirt buildup etc.