Sram Red etap 12 speed

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited November 2018 in Road general
Looks like sram have have gone 12 speed for road.
2.00 to 3.24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njjvgh8H3RM&t=203s
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I guess it's one better than 11 and so was inevitable.

I hope this doesn't just mean a 10 tooth cog gets added to everything though, it's bad enough that everything starts at 11 now. I can see why very strong cyclists might want it, but I'd rather see the extra cog create smaller gaps or give lower gears. It would be nice to have a choice at least. With gravel/allroad being all the rage and neither SRAM or Shimano making sub-compact chainrings, it's odd that cassettes all seem to be focused on not sacrificing anything at the high end.
  • I for one would be happy with a move to 10 tooth cogs as it should mean that sub compact chainsets such as 46-30 and 48-32 would become the new norm. Hence a 10-32 cassette would give you all the gears you'd ever need to go fast or climb mountains.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I'm all for sub-compacts becoming mainstream, but it doesn't have to be a zero sum game, both could be offered. Unless there's a technical reasons why the extra cog needs to go outboard, I'd still rather it was in the middle or at the low end of the cassette.

I have an unusually fast cadence (about 103) so I favour lower gearing than most, but I still think there must be other people like me who couldn't care less about maximising speed downhill and don't sprint anywhere. As long as I can hit mid 20s on the flat I'm happy, and even 46/12 shouldn't be a problem there.
  • I loved riding a compact with an 11-25 10 speed. The new 12-speed Campag' will, once I have saved up for it, give me a semi-compact at 11 - 29. Best of both worlds.