Effeto Mariposa Carogna tape

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited December 2018 in Cyclocross
Anyone been using this for a while, and have any feedback on its longevity?

I remember a lot of positive comments when it first came out, but at the time there was no data on how it performed over multiple seasons. Specifically interested in experience on CX tyres...
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• Been using it on a rear tub for the past season and haven't had a problem with it

Though I did try and ride on it 36 hours after taping and found it was not quite holding. Left it a week and not a problem since
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'm on my second season on a taped set and still rock solid. I doubt I will ever use glue again.
  • tgotb
    Exactly what I was hoping to hear, thanks guys!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    Blimey, that was a revelation. Fitted my new tyres on the kitchen table, in the warm! Other benefits:
    - Being able to build the wheels and fit the tyres all in the same afternoon
    - Not getting glue on the sidewalls
    - Forgetting to pre-stretch the tyres, and it not being a problem
    - Not spending the evening picking glue off my fingers
    - Not discovering I'd run out of disposable brushes

Assuming they actually stay attached, I'm a convert!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I've used Tufo tape for years and it works perfect - sticks perfect from the off, lasts for years.

all the pros of tubs none of the cons of glue.

no need to ever use glue again.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tgotb
    I've used Tufo tape for years and it works perfect - sticks perfect from the off, lasts for years.

all the pros of tubs none of the cons of glue.

no need to ever use glue again.
    For cyclocross tubs?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    TGOTB wrote:
    Blimey, that was a revelation. Fitted my new tyres on the kitchen table, in the warm! Other benefits:

Another one turns to the dark side. It was foretold.
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Another one turns to the dark side. It was foretold.
    Not a foregone conclusion - I haven't ridden them yet. They're sat in the living room, pumped up to the highest pressure I dared (60psi), to encourage the adhesive to do its thing...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    Update: I rode the newly taped tyres in the SE Regionals at Cyclopark yesterday. Course was a good test of tyre adhesion with plenty of off-camber, tight turns etc. Tyres are still attached to the wheels, edge of the tape still looks very neat - I remain a convert...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    TGOTB wrote:
    Update: I rode the newly taped tyres in the SE Regionals at Cyclopark yesterday. Course was a good test of tyre adhesion with plenty of off-camber, tight turns etc. Tyres are still attached to the wheels, edge of the tape still looks very neat - I remain a convert...

How does it compare cost wise?
  • tgotb
    VamP wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

How does it compare cost wise?
    Not very well. If you bulk buy 6 wheels' worth it's a bit over £10 per wheel; I'm guessing Mastik One must be around £3 per wheel.

Very interested to see how long it lasts. Mastik One seems to need redoing after 2 years max if you don't want to risk rolling tubs, hopefully this will be better. I'm also not sure what you do if it does fail (or if you have a puncture). By all accounts the tape is permanently attached to the base tape of the tyre. If you have to remove the tyre from the wheel do you reattach with a second layer of tape between the first layer and the rim?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I didn't have good results with the mariposa tape - rolled first race on the rear on a not particularly demanding course. I'm fairly hefty, though - experience has taught me that my rear tub needs welding on for cyclocross so I use the glue and tape method, a lighter rider might be fine with the tape.

I enjoy gluing tubs - what I dislike about the glue and tape method is how the tape adheres to the basetape when you want to change / reglue the tyre, it can get to be a bit of a state and it's miles harder to clean off than the rim. If the mariposa tape is not coming clean off the tyre when you need to change then it wouldn't be a good method for me.
  • tgotb
    Update: I rolled one on Sunday :-(

Wasn't really a fair test; I messed up a dodgy experimental uphill remount and the bike slid out from under me. When I landed on the bike it was stationary and banked over at more than 45 degrees. This meant I loaded the tyres quite hard and suddenly, causing the front to roll. I *think*, but haven't checked yet, that the tape came away from the rim, and is still attached to the tyre.

Instructions from Effetto Mariposa helpline are to remove the tyre from the wheel, peel the tape off the tyre (which I'll apparently be able to do), not worrying about any residual bits of tape on the tyre, and then reglue with new tape. I guess this is also what you'd do if you had to repair a puncture. I'll report back on how well that goes.

In other news, I just bought my daughter a set of Schwalbe X-One Bites, which I ended up using in lieu of the tubs. They're really very good indeed; at 20psi (tubeless) they were rock solid, and pretty much indistinguishable (in Hillingdon mud) from the FMB SuperMuds I had on the other bike...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    Further update:

The remainder of the tyre was about as easy to remove from the rim as a fairly-well-glued tub; the tape stayed attached to the tyre, leaving a very thin layer of glue (from the tape) on most of the rim (but not in the centre). Once I'd done that, it was actually quite easy to peel the tape off the tyre; it came away quite cleanly, just leaving one or two small bits. Once I'd done this, the tub basically looked like new, which is quite interesting; getting a puncture repaired wouldn't be a problem.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Need to watch if you are using Dugast or FMB i am not sure which but thats a known issue.

Rest of the time they're perfect.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • tgotb
    LeePaton wrote:
    Need to watch if you are using Dugast or FMB i am not sure which but thats a known issue.

Rest of the time they're perfect.
    Any more info on that? I'm using with FMB (though also about to mount a set of Limus).

Mine failed between tape and rim, so presumably not tyre related (though in my case, something like a Grifo probably wouldn't have had enough grip to roll it!)
    Pannier, 120rpm.