Giant mudguards

jimmocrates
jimmocrates Posts: 131
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
My Giant Defy is a 2012 model. I used to only have my mudguards on for 2-3months of the year, buut it's now been redeployed as permanent Winter bike.
Sadly, my Giant specific mud guards failed around one of the rivets where the rear plastic meets the metal around the brake fixing point and the plastic has cracked around it so it looks beyond reasonable repair.
I can't find anywhere that still sells the Giant specific guards for 2012 models:
1) Does anyone know if I'm wrong and a place where you can buy them from?
2) If not, which are the best guards to buy? I have some Michelin Power All Season 23x700 waiting to go on, which I bought to aid clearance with a narrower guard.
ta

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,659
    Where in the UK are you? I might have a set going.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• I have a 2013 Defy as a winter hack commuter.

I'm running SKS Chromoplastics with 28mm tyres with no rubbing. The only fettling that I had to do was to drill out the front guards metal brake mount and cable tie it to the brake calliper bolt as there wasn't clearance for my tyres. Sounds like a right bodge but you'd never notice it. And you're 23mm's may be fine.
  • I'm between Blackburn/Clitheroe in Lancashire.
    Its just the rear guard where the plastic/rivet fixing point has failed.
    The defy has a mounting bolt/rubber spacer on the seat tube - not sure if the SKS guards utilise this orr have different fixing points.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,659
    If you were down South me Bristol you could have my old set for free. Not really worth posting as if they broke in post it wouldn't be worth while. Mine broke on the rear bracket metal bit that clamps in the brake calliper. Two small black cable ties did the job just as well but invisibly.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Thanks.
    The Giant ones do give a snug fit, so would happily get another pair, just don't think they sell for the 2012 model and the newer ones don't look compatible. Will keep looking!
  • The SKS do use the seat tube mount yes. Any guards will be fine to be fair.