Winter/all season 28mm Tubeless: suggestions please

ridgeway_swiss
ridgeway_swiss Posts: 146
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Need something that i can use in the wetter weather and would like to go tubeless, thinking 28mm would be good as well. I normally go with Conti but they don't seem to offer any tubeless products.

So far i've found the Goodyear Eagle All-Season 28mm tubeless but struggling to find any reviews rather than PR.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It the formula pro X guard the above poster means. I let you know what the Good eagle tubeless is like when I start testing hopefully soon. I need to ride more the new conti tyre will need trying out.

Initial impressions of the 28mm Eagle tubeless tyre is that it 340g just like the 28mm X guard and the thread is not slippy like a gatorskin. I dont think it will be a "fast tyre" it should be fairly robust. ITts heavy enough .
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • It the formula pro X guard the above poster means. I let you know what the Good eagle tubeless is like when I start testing hopefully soon. I need to ride more the new conti tyre will need trying out.

Initial impressions of the 28mm Eagle tubeless tyre is that it 340g just like the 28mm X guard and the thread is not slippy like a gatorskin. I dont think it will be a "fast tyre" it should be fairly robust. ITts heavy enough .

That's great feedback, thank you !

Formula Pro X Guard have great feedback on every where i could read, sound impressive.
  • I'm using the Hutchinson Sector 28 and I'm a fan of it. Seems pretty robust but doesn't roll that badly.

No personal experience of it but would be worth looking at the Pirelli Cinturato tyre as well.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Need something that i can use in the wetter weather and would like to go tubeless, thinking 28mm would be good as well. I normally go with Conti but they don't seem to offer any tubeless products.

So far i've found the Goodyear Eagle All-Season 28mm tubeless but struggling to find any reviews rather than PR.

Just in case you missed it, Conti have just announced the launch of GP5000 TL so you my be able to stick with Conti if you prefer.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • handful wrote:

Just in case you missed it, Conti have just announced the launch of GP5000 TL so you my be able to stick with Conti if you prefer.

That's good to know, thank you.

They look expensive :shock: wow €150 for a set of tyres....... even the IRC's look cheap compared to them but they'll probably be trusty old Conti that should work.

I'll look at all the options inc the Hutchinsons and hope it stays dry for a while....
  • Need something that i can use in the wetter weather and would like to go tubeless, thinking 28mm would be good as well. I normally go with Conti but they don't seem to offer any tubeless products.

lol try the new conti GP 5000 TL released this week.
  • Nearly bought a pair myself to try as my first forage into tubeless on my Hunt wheels, but didn't so cannot say what they are like, Merlin have the Hutchinson All Season Storm 11s for ~£31.50 each
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    I'm using the Hutchinson Sector 28 and I'm a fan of it. Seems pretty robust but doesn't roll that badly.

No personal experience of it but would be worth looking at the Pirelli Cinturato tyre as well.

So this conveniently was posted today which seems to suggest that the Cinturato is the tire you're looking for, super tough and doesn't roll tool badly:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -velo-2018
  • Maxxis Padrones, you can usually pick them up from Sigma Sport for £33 with voucher codes. I get around 4000 miles out of them. Wet grip is 100% reassuring.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    The padrone is not universally liked. There are a number of people who I have talked to who cant stand them. The complaint is they feel dead, loose fit and wet grip is not stellar. These are people who have not tried IRC tyres either so are comparing mostly to hutchinson tyres.

The pireli are getting complaints of being like riding through treacle. So this is another tyre to try. One day I will be able to do a comparative write up of all of them. I am making personal notes and testing on the same bike. It is taking time as the test is till the rear tyre is dead.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The padrone is not universally liked. There are a number of people who I have talked to who cant stand them. The complaint is they feel dead, loose fit and wet grip is not stellar. These are people who have not tried IRC tyres either so are comparing mostly to hutchinson tyres.

The pireli are getting complaints of being like riding through treacle. So this is another tyre to try. One day I will be able to do a comparative write up of all of them. I am making personal notes and testing on the same bike. It is taking time as the test is till the rear tyre is dead.
    I don't have any skin in this game, but you quite clearly do, being the UK distributor and main retailer of IRC tyres.

The above looks an awful lot like FUD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_unc ... _and_doubt

I'm not saying that is what it is, but given your position I think it'd be more appropriate if you kept quiet, in the absence of having something nice to say about rival products.

Not for the first time, could I suggest that you submit some IRC tyres to the bicycle rolling resistance website for testing in order that we might get an impartial opinion, and confirmation of their reputedly excellent rolling resistance?

Looking at that website, the Padrone's appear to have fairly average performance, worth a go if cheap but otherwise nothing special, and the Pirelli looks to have superb puncture resistance - could well be the 'tubeless durano/gatorskin' that a lot of people have been after - beating said tyres at both puncture resistance and rolling resistance.
  • cycleclinic
    JArno buys his tyres so there is no submitting them.

I have just mounted some to the commutor, so I will see if I agree what with what I have heard after a long term test. IT not a vested interest on my part. The one thing I did notice when fitting them to my aileron was the loose fit. 5 wraps of tape later on the rear 4 on the front and they still needed compressed air to go up. On a 20mm internal width rim the 28mm Padrone was 27.5mm wide and 25mm tall. the loose fit also means they unseat at zero pressue. the yskions UST and IRC's, schwalbe's and Good year eagle's on that rim dont because they are much tighter fit. The aileron rim lacks the bump next to central channel that stops this so friction alone is required. The loose fit of the padrone when I have tried on other rims with the bump next to the channel has also unseated. More layers of tape would help them inflate easier on those rims but then more layer of tape obsures that bump so they still unseat.....

The mavic Yskion UST came off today after about 3500km. the front tyre picked up 3 punctures today and the rear tyre started leaking from a plugged hole. Admitabdily I had run out of sealant in the tyre which did not help. the plug had been there for a while and it was a big one. The tyre had started to come apart there and was bulging as well around the hole. So borrowed time. Otherwise those tyres have been quite nice to ride on. quite low rolling resistance, dependable in the wet (grip wise) and comfortable. Life span has been a bit short and they full of cuts and holes which is there only down side. Given the current price though possibly not a bad buy. Oh the 28mm tyre on the aileron rim was 29mm wide and 26mm tall. It weighted 290g which is what they should weight according to mavic.

So my interest TimothyW is in tubeless tyres in general not a particular brand. I think you misunderstand me. I should be able to pass on my experiences like any one else.
  • timothyw
    JArno buys his tyres so there is no submitting them.
    That appears to be the case for most of the reviews, although the recent Padrone review does say:
    this is the first Maxxis road bike tire we've had on the test bench. The reason for this is limited availability of Maxxis road bike tires in Europe. This tire was ordered at a UK webshop by a reader from Australia and shipped from the UK webshop to directly to us. Thank you David W.
    I find it hard to believe that they'd reject a submission of a review sample.
    So my interest TimothyW is in tubeless tyres in general not a particular brand. I think you misunderstand me. I should be able to pass on my experiences like any one else.
    I'd love to believe that you are being completely impartial, but it does seem like you have a pretty clear conflict of interest that might stop you from being that, which isn't always clear to the casual observer (although to be fair it should be fairly obvious to anyone reading this thread from the start).
  • cycleclinic
    Jarno did reject a submission. He can buy IRC in belgium easily. No-one is impartial TimothyW no-one. everyone has biases. Your is to suspect anyone who has a commercial interest, but you don't always know other interest or biases.

Sometimes the tyres that feel like treacle to ride through are just the tyre you need. That pirelli therefore is on my list. It could be really robust. The higher rolling resistance Jarno reports is a good indictator it is. An example is the conti gatorskin tubular. Even though it feels like riding through treacle I really like them and not for there pace but for the longevity although they still puncture in the end.
  • I've logged a few winters of very rough roads - glass ridden unmaintained dock yards, cycle paths - all on tubeless tyres. In my experience the best so far have been hutchison sector 28s. I started with schwalbe pro ones - absolute disaster. Punctures constantly. Moved onto IRC pro light and x-guard. X-guard unfortunately slashed on the rear on the sidewall early but the tyre was wearing well. However I found the grip wasn't great in the wet. Had a nasty crash on a corner, front tyre washed out completely without warning. Pro lights were better than schwalbe (not difficult) but I've collected quite a few punctures and used lots of slugs/worms. Sector 28s have been utterly abused. Stupid low pressures (lazyness), all conditions, currently at 6000+ Kms and not a single puncture. They are very cutup now, and the sidewalls have looked better around the bead etc but in my experience, they have just worked. I've used Stan's sealant for all of these which I'm planning to change to orange or something more suitable. I'm curious about the fusion 5 all season storm 11s, Pirelli cinturato and GP5000 TL. My bike is usually laden with a large apiddura saddle pack, 70+kgs of rider weight and often an additional rucksack for what it's worth.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Another fan of the X-Guards here and have had no issues in the wet, currently on Halo Vapour rims with effetto sealant and no punctures so far riding on crappy fen roads and glass-strewn Cambridge streets.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I bought some x guards to use for last winter they still look like new after 1000 miles, they are now on the bike to use this winter , I cannot fault them at all the x guards are ideal for winter and have recommend them to others
  • cycleclinic
    The long term pardone test has just ended.

Second ride and this
    IMG-20181112-091518.jpg

Tyre has unseated putting plugs in that loose fit again ( but it's also the rim) so I am having to resort to a tube (as if a tyre is a loose fit I would pack a tube). So loose I could pull the tyre off buy hand. I forgot my levers too.

Good year eagles next. Perhaps I have just been unlucky but this tyre is no match for flint.

It s a shame because I thought the comfort was decent and so was the grip. They feel a bit like the Roadlite in some ways but I do think the Roadlite and the Mavic yskion UST are more comfortable tyres. It difficult to tell for such a short test which of these three is better for grip. If maXxis sort out the fit for the new maXxis high road which will replace the padrone I think then they will have a decent tyre.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229

The pireli are getting complaints of being like riding through treacle.

interesting, I've been using Pirelli's all year and they've been fine. standard and not 4 seasons. note they are prone to flint punctures.
  • timothyw
    I think anything is prone to flint punctures, short of a marathon plus.

Comes down to how your luck is.

I remember having to dig a drywall screw out of my commuter tyres a couple of years back - not a lot a tyre can do about that.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've been riding the Padrones for a while and like them a lot as they seem smooth, fast and grippy. They don't look particularly tough, but I've been lucky enough to avoid any fatal cuts. However, for a winter specific tubeless tyre I'd probably go for the Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season Tubeless Ready, which are pretty sturdy but not at all heavy @ 260g for the 25mm. 25s and 28s in stock @ £34 from Merlin plus further 10% off is a pretty good price.
  • cycleclinic
    As I said the padrones felt fine till they didn't but it was bad luck. I might buy another to see how durable they are. It was a flint strewn road as well this time in Essex.

The perelli tyres I was on about are the new cintuara tyre. The thread on that is very thick 4mm I think which is thicker than an IRC tyre. That's what is being referred too. A marathon is 5mm thick which is why that feels slower. Also the cyclist I know who has tried them was using schwalbe pro one previously so that is the comparison being made. However that's what you want in a winter tyre.

Incidentally the good year eagles went up today with a floor pump but the first roll down the road showed them to be the least comfortable of all the tubeless tyres I have tried. There was noticeable buzz through the bars. The ride was reminiscent of the gatorskin 28mm.

Those Hutchinson fusion5 all season storm 11 is the same weight as the Mavic yskion UST. I wonder if it's the same tyre. When I held on at a show it felt like the same tyre. If they were ridden on less debris strewn roads they no doubt would be fine.
  • The long term pardone test has just ended.

Second ride and this
    IMG-20181112-091518.jpg

Are you going to put a boot in to repair it?

Not sure what did this to mine, but made it home

45845873591_90657f582a.jpg
  • bobones wrote:
    I've been riding the Padrones for a while and like them a lot as they seem smooth, fast and grippy. They don't look particularly tough, but I've been lucky enough to avoid any fatal cuts. However, for a winter specific tubeless tyre I'd probably go for the Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season Tubeless Ready, which are pretty sturdy but not at all heavy @ 260g for the 25mm. 25s and 28s in stock @ £34 from Merlin plus further 10% off is a pretty good price.

There is an eBay seller with some Maxxis High Roads for £35, may give those a try