Waterproof jacket - mid budget

craigus89
craigus89 Posts: 887
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
After getting drenched the last couple of days on my commute, I decided this morning to try a Rab waterproof jacket that I have for mountain walks to see if I could actually stay dry, to my surprise I was bone dry underneath it after 40 mins of belting rain. It's fine for using on the commute but it is sized to wear over the top of down jackets so it is far too big for normal riding and has a hood too.

I have a few different cheapish 'capes' that are fine for the warmer months to keep a bit of spray off, but I'm looking for something that is actually waterproof. Not too worried about packability, as long as it will roll up to take up a whole jersey pocket that's fine.

I don't have the budget for £200+ Gore stuff, is there anything around the £100 mark that is actually waterproof?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always bagged my waterproofs in the end of season sales so I do have a Goretex shell for torrential rain, and a Castelli Alpha ROS for cold and wet, but winter gear is all full price at this time of year because demand is high.

Galibier Mistral got a mention on here a few weeks ago, and may tick your boxes? Sounds like a water resistant softshell like the Alphas

Or their Tourmalet II for proper waterproof. Mond you, it's out of stock till February...
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I got a Gore Oxygen Active Shell Jacket for ~£70 (heavily discounted) last Feb and it's been brilliant for commuting/easier rides. It's the same material as the Shakedry but with another layer on top of the waterproof membrane. I looked at the Shakedry stuff but my hesitation was that it was all black and if it's raining its likely gonna be dark and dingy, this jacket is bright red so makes me feel safer.

I also have a range of Gabba-like tops, which are good but lack the complete waterproofness of a hardshell, but they breath better so it does depend on what riding you are doing.

Fast club run type riding = Gabba, Castelli Alpha
    Easy rides w/ partner, commuting or holiday rides in the mountains = Gore Oxygen.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I agree that the Gore active Shell stuff is good - but you may not find many deals and bargains at the moment.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I bought one of these a few months back. It is incredible. Totally waterproof and breathable. Best jacket I have ever bought and beats my other jackets from Gore, Castelli etc hands down. I’d have been happy with the it at full price but at this price it is an absolute steal.
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-FS260-P ... _89831.htm
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • That Endura looks good, would rather a colour over black though, but the medium looks like it would fit so I'm tempted to grab that while I can.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    There are quite a lot of white markings on the jacket if you are concerned about visibility. It is quite a snug fit, maybe not “Italian” racing fit but close fitting I would say. I am about a 40” chest and opted for the Large, it is a perfect fit for me - not restrictive but not flapping about either. The sleeves are quite long (by design) so don’t ride up when you reach for the handlebars and it has very comfortable neoprene collar and cuffs which add to the snug feel. It is just a superb piece of kit, can’t recommend it enough. I couldn’t find a single poor review on it and have to say it has more than lived up to the hype.
    It is not lined so not particularly warm on its own, but only adds to its appeal in my book as it can be worn throughout the year with the correct layers underneath.

This video sold it to me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oButOAiogGY

:
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wiggle just sent me an email about a DHB waterproof in a 24 hour sale, think it was £70 or £80
  • My friend is an Endura ambassador for road kit so I got an FS260 at a great price. Don't think I've ever left for a ride without it in my back pocket, in any country. It's quite big for a pocketable jacket, but it's so much better than any other lightweight cape I've used. Good fit, but not the smallest of sizing, but I like my stuff very small! I run a small and I'm 6ft1 and about 70-74kg most of the time(78+ in winter! :lol: ) - I can even get it on over a winter jacket(Prefetto, Mossa, Alpha, etc), at winter weight, at a push... Might need to stop to zip it up if it's in December and I'm heavy :lol:

Great in the rain, great in cold evenings, great on alpine descents. Fairly breathable too, if it's raining I can happily wear it round our full 50/60 mile 'race' pace Saturday morning chaingang without boiling in a bag.
  • Thanks for all the recommendations, I've gone fore the Endura from Tredz at £75 if it's as good as it sounds it's a bargain!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    w00dster wrote:

I have the Gilet from them along with a couple of other bits, really rate the gilet though rode the bulk of last winter with that and a Gabba resorting to their winter jacket when it snowed.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-storm ... -jacket-1/

No experience of it, just saw it.