Sram Apex 10 with 11S rear mech

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Pretty sure this works but just needed some confirmation.

I have an Apex 10 spd shifter and an X7 11 speed rear mech, my understanding is they work fine but just need to double check the shifter will click that one extra to take it to 11.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    No, it won't. The shifter will only have 9 clicks. If they're both Exact Actuation (I believe they are) then they'll work together as a 10 speed set up, but you need an 11 speed shifter for actually having 11 gears.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Step83 wrote:
    Pretty sure this works but just needed some confirmation.

I have an Apex 10 spd shifter and an X7 11 speed rear mech, my understanding is they work fine but just need to double check the shifter will click that one extra to take it to 11.

You're misunderstanding SRAM's backwards compatibility. SRAM rear derailleurs will work correctly with 10 or 11 speed shifters. its doesn't work the other way around as you describe. So you can't turn a 10 speed shifter into an 11 speed one by putting a SRAM 22 rear derailleur on, but your 10 speed SRAM rear derailleur will become an 11 speed one with SRAM 22 shifters.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Yeah makes sense now, I slapped a 10 speed cassette on with the 11 speed rear mech an its been behaving so far