Cycling clothes for visibility... or not?

124»

Comments

• herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Hi-Viz is one thing, but also important is maintaining a human silhouette. We are good at spotting people shaped objects, and too much gear, hi-viz or not serves to break up our human shaped outline. Hi-Viz gillets with reflective stripes do this quite well.

Some of the new jackets, entirely fabricated from reflective material are good at maintaining a silhouette and reflecting light in all directions, meaning you stand out to people, pulling out at junctions for example, even if their headlights are not directly on you.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm not sure an outline of a jacket is that useful.

When I see cyclists in the dark at a distance it's pedal reflectors or reflectives on their lower legs that get the attention.

In daylight it's a bright coloured top.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Maybe not a thing for many people, but for winter commuting I always wear a hi-viz jacket, on one hand to take the easy and obvious option of being more visible (I realise this is contentious) but also to 'comply' - a cyclist in hi-viz is something that bonehead drives 'expect', so by wearing it, it gives them one less reason to be angry? Makes sense to me.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Ach who gives a sh1t, be sensible and wear what you want to, let other wear what they want to and use good lights at night. Just ride the bloody bike. If somebody doesn’t want to see you then they won’t see you.

PS ProViz is good at night.
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    Maybe not a thing for many people, but for winter commuting I always wear a hi-viz jacket, on one hand to take the easy and obvious option of being more visible (I realise this is contentious) but also to 'comply' - a cyclist in hi-viz is something that bonehead drives 'expect', so by wearing it, it gives them one less reason to be angry? Makes sense to me.

Did you actually bother reading any replies on this thread
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    What's the problem with expressing his opimion exactly?
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    incident5892.jpg

I may have shown this before on this forum some years ago.

I am a fan of hi-viz , even more so the older I get. But it is not foolproof. Note the tyre-track from left mid-chest to right upper shoulder. Knocked off by a shiny white BMW with black windows , then run over by a large van full of tyres . Both drivers stated they did not see me. I believe both were lying.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    JGSI wrote:
    So what's your stance on ProTeam kit?
    You've been cycling all of 5 bloody minutes and you are very opinionated already - so success, you are a cyclist.
    :roll:

Let people wear what they want -- END OF.

wow and then we wonder why people dislike cyclists,Glad your not in my club pal and ive been cycling since 1975 so my opinion counts.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    john1967 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    So what's your stance on ProTeam kit?
    You've been cycling all of 5 bloody minutes and you are very opinionated already - so success, you are a cyclist.
    :roll:

Let people wear what they want -- END OF.

wow and then we wonder why people dislike cyclists,Glad your not in my club pal and ive been cycling since 1975 so my opinion counts.

Couldn’t give a toss about your opinion, so no, your opinion doesn’t count.
  • Is it just a cyclist thing where if two people have differing opinions then they get down each other’s throats or just this forum?! In my Sat morning club ride there’s anything between 10-20 cyclists, some wear Hi-Viz, some don’t, nobody starts thowing their opinions around. Just get on with it.
  • This forum makes me glad I'm not in any club.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Craigus89 wrote:
    This forum makes me glad I'm not in any club.
    Nice one , lol
    My club wouldnt have you, much too arsey.
  • JGSI wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    This forum makes me glad I'm not in any club.
    Nice one , lol
    My club wouldnt have you, much too arsey.

I'm sure it's a hoot!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Dunno really, only in it to guarantee racing entries. Dont do club stuff.
  • Is it just a cyclist thing where if two people have differing opinions then they get down each other’s throats or just this forum?! In my Sat morning club ride there’s anything between 10-20 cyclists, some wear Hi-Viz, some don’t, nobody starts thowing their opinions around. Just get on with it.
    Want 5 different opinions on a subject? Ask 4 cyclists :mrgreen:
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    CarbonClem wrote:

Did you actually bother reading any replies on this thread

What’s your point?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    Ever since I started wearing this to cycle, I've noticed cars slowing down for me

1.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

But Ale make a wide range of colours verging on garish in some cases. They certainly disprove whoever it was that said quality brands don't make bright clothing

https://www.alecycling.com/en/men/jersey