Real world experience of 3T Strada?

2»

Comments

• Personally have no experience of the 3T. But I cannot see what the advantage is over the traditional setup.

I ride a 1x setup on an old steel bike to commute on over the bad winter months. The reason it's 1x is because I ride on some shocking roads and back lanes and it is easier to maintain and less to go wrong, I would ride a singlespeed if it weren't so hilly, but having 6 fairly close ratio gears helps a lot.

That is the only advantage I can envisage, but my other bikes never have issues with FD when they're setup properly. The aero/weight saving argument is frankly b0llocks.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited November 2018
    Experience of 1x11 is fairly easy to come by - the only variable here is the apparent lack of direct experience of the Strada frameset itself. Having seen a few close up though, it's just another carbon frame, but bearing a striking similarity to the Cervelo T4 or S5 - which suggests to me that Gerard Vroomen may only have one design concept. Tyre clearance seems to be minimal - you'd struggle to efficiently run any tyre larger than 28 on anything less than a glass-smooth and swept surface. I'll pass...
  • And nobody has mentioned the frame itself is ugly as ****
  • Imposter wrote:
    you'd struggle to efficiently run any tyre larger than 28

Did you mean 23?
    left the forum March 2023
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Craigus89 wrote:
    And nobody has mentioned the frame itself is ugly as ****
    you have in passing and I agree. it looks utterly awful.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Did you mean 23?

No, I've seen 28s in a Strada frame and it's about as tight as you'd want to go without getting something jammed between tyre and frame...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Did you mean 23?

No, I've seen 28s in a Strada frame and it's about as tight as you'd want to go without getting something jammed between tyre and frame...

I've seen one in the flesh with 28's and there was a few mm at most between the tyre and the frame. Any dirt brought up by the tyre would have scraped against the frame.

Probably should be careful which 28mm tyre to use, a GP4000 for example may not fit.
  • Hi,

I’ve got one in the shop and a friend who’s a commonwealth games rider said tired it and said it felt and was quick,
    He was running a 48t on the front and a 11-36 on the back.
    Said He would of preferred running a 50t on the front but would come down to the parcour.
    Myself I have the exploro and run a 44t front and 11-42t rear and have to admit I did a 108mile sportive and found I was either spinning or grinding on the long climbs which since I mountain bike wasn’t such an issue. But what I love about the exploro is I can throw my 700c stans avion wheels in or like at the mo I got 2.2 x 27.5 tyres on and doing cliff path riding on it. Plus you can throw a double on the front if u wanted.
    If u got the strada I can’t see it being that had to get a front mount riverted on and use etap.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    bluemoon81 wrote:
    Hi,

I’ve got one in the shop and a friend who’s a commonwealth games rider said tired it and said it felt and was quick,
    Said He would have preferred running a 50t on the front but would come down to the parcour.
    Myself I have the exploro and run a 44t front and 11-42t rear and have to admit I did a 108mile sportive and found I was either spinning or grinding on the long climbs which since I mountain bike wasn’t such an issue. But what I love about the exploro is I can throw my 700c stans avion wheels in or like at the mo I got 2.2 x 27.5 tyres on and doing cliff path riding on it. Plus you can throw a double on the front if u wanted.
    If u got the strada I can’t see it being that had to get a front mount riverted on and use etap.

apart from there is no reinforcing behind that part of the frame and its designed for it so all he'll do is rip the mech off the frame and leave him with a knackered frame that isn't under warranty.

Err - what shop do you work in by the way?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Did you really thing I’d think someone would go and get a front mech riverted onto a new frame it was done tongue in cheek.
  • Matthewfalle
    bluemoon81 wrote:
    Did you really thing I’d think someone would go and get a front mech riverted onto a new frame it was done tongue in cheek.

yes we do and no it wasn't. you posted it as a serious option and tried to back it up with coments about shops and Commonwealth Games riders.

which shop by the way? which C/G rider?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • So the only difference as far as I can see over the usual bike is that you can't find the right gear most of time, but it feels fast.

Great. Where can I purchase one?
  • Matthewfalle
    still waiting for shop and C/G rider confirmation or was this also tongue in cheek?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    bluemoon81 wrote:
    Hi,

Said He would have preferred running a 50t on the front but would come down to the parcour.

apart from there is no reinforcing behind that part of the frame and its designed for it so all he'll do is rip the mech off the frame and leave him with a knackered frame that isn't under warranty.

one I'd not frequent for any form of mechanical advice, I'm guessing quite a few others here as well...
  • Matthewfalle
    philbar72 wrote:
    bluemoon81 wrote:
    Hi,

one I'd not frequent for any form of mechanical advice, I'm guessing quite a few others here as well...

i think i agree with you.

the MFs are nodding as well

#worrying

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Not a Strada by any means but I recently went 1X on my No.2 bike. OK the ring is probably a little too small up front 42T with am 11-42T cassette but it works.
    On the flat my comfortable speed is around 30kph so the 15T rear cog sits me at about that speed using my normal cadence leaving the 13T and 11T. When you hit an incline though its a case of you can only go full attack or spin its missing those in between gears youll get on 2X setups. If you ran a closer ratio cassette id imagine the problems would be less but youd have to offset it with a smaller front ring anyway so youd be slower in general.

Also slowness wise and also picking up speed ive had problems if someone goes for a sprint an you want to keep up your immediately on the back foot as you have to go up a gear to get any decent power an the jump is quite high, plus for me ill spin out at 50kph so on a fast decent its a bit of a pain.
  • There's a interesting Cyclingtips podcast from a few months ago when they spoke to one of the Aquablue mechanics about his experience of 1x and from a pro perspective and he ensure the teams did have the most effective gearing they had to not just keep chainrings and cassettes but also different chain lengths in order to ensure an effective drive train. When they were racing generally flat tours it wasn't much of a problem, but for events that had large daily variation in terrain there was a lot of work for the mechanics.

Saw a Due at the weekend... running 2x....
  • Matthewfalle
    edited November 2018
    54Ragtop wrote:
    There's a interesting Cyclingtips podcast from a few months ago when they spoke to one of the Aquablue mechanics about his experience of 1x and from a pro perspective and he ensure the teams did have the most effective gearing they had to not just keep chainrings and cassettes but also different chain lengths in order to ensure an effective drive train. When they were racing generally flat tours it wasn't much of a problem, but for events that had large daily variation in terrain there was a lot of work for the mechanics.

Saw a Due at the weekend... running 2x....

a Due running 2x - surely its in the name? you aren't the rivet recommending dude as above in disguise are you?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    still waiting shop/rider confirmation ......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    Step83 wrote:
    Not a Strada by any means but I recently went 1X on my No.2 bike. OK the ring is probably a little too small up front 42T with am 11-42T cassette but it works.
    On the flat my comfortable speed is around 30kph so the 15T rear cog sits me at about that speed using my normal cadence leaving the 13T and 11T. When you hit an incline though its a case of you can only go full attack or spin its missing those in between gears youll get on 2X setups. If you ran a closer ratio cassette id imagine the problems would be less but youd have to offset it with a smaller front ring anyway so youd be slower in general.

42 was the standard small ring on a double when I started !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]