Stitching Strava routes

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,833
edited November 2018 in Tour & expedition
Is it possible to download a set of recorded routes from Strava and stitch them together to give (much) longer route for planning?

I have a friend who is working their way down through Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania or Kosovo/Macedonia and Greece. The day by day routes are shared on Strava.

I quite fancy this as a tour so want to have a look at it end to end from Italy to Greece.

If I get someone with a Premium account to download each ride, is there an easy way of stitching them together and, perhaps, importing to Google maps so I can use street view and search?

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Is it possible to download a set of recorded routes from Strava and stitch them together to give (much) longer route for planning?

I have a friend who is working their way down through Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania or Kosovo/Macedonia and Greece. The day by day routes are shared on Strava.

I quite fancy this as a tour so want to have a look at it end to end from Italy to Greece.

If I get someone with a Premium account to download each ride, is there an easy way of stitching them together and, perhaps, importing to Google maps so I can use street view and search?
    Yes.
    Download as a .gpx
    Join the .gpx files using GPSBabel or similar.

You can also open the files in Notepad and copy all of the <trkpt> elements from one file to the end of the new file if you're that way inclined.

Although you can stitch all the files together to make a big file, Strava might throw a wobbly if you upload it because of the big time gaps between each section. Should be fine for viewing in Google Maps/Google Earth.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    If you ever had your Garmin stop or accidentally saved mid ride, email the gpx files to Strava and they will do it for you. As for other ones like you want, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same thing.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Thanks guys.