Wheels Manufacturers bottom brackets?

frankbegbie
frankbegbie Posts: 12
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Anyone had any experience with these BBs?

They look to be a good solution as they screw together from the outside instead of just pressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsZU_PvTjFs

edit: 'Wheels Manufacturing'.

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Anyone had any experience with these BBs?

They look to be a good solution as they screw together from the outside instead of just pressing.

These are now my go to Bottom brackets.

Ive used them to replace BB30, PF30 and PF30a. Simple and excellent. no creaks easy to install. Seem to last a long time compared to the alternatives.

Ive fitted them in other bikes for club mates, they seem very happy too.

+ theyre not a bad price!

Highly recommended from me
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I've one in a BB30 frame. Very good in comparison to noisy press fit. I've just changed the non driveside bearing at ~6k miles as a bit of water sneaked and buggered it up.

Recommended.
  • Anyone had any experience with these BBs?

These are now my go to Bottom brackets.

Ive used them to replace BB30, PF30 and PF30a. Simple and excellent. no creaks easy to install. Seem to last a long time compared to the alternatives.

Ive fitted them in other bikes for club mates, they seem very happy too.

+ theyre not a bad price!

Highly recommended from me

Thanks, To be honest I'm sick of looking for alternatives.

I'm going for one soon, before I go crackers.
  • boblo wrote:
    I've one in a BB30 frame. Very good in comparison to noisy press fit. I've just changed the non driveside bearing at ~6k miles as a bit of water sneaked and buggered it up.

Recommended.

Thanks.
    There's a press fit bb in the frame I just bought, but from all the stories I wanted to change it as soon as possible.

Not built the bike yet, just getting all the components together.

This is my first experience with bb30 bottom brackets.
  • I had 1 in my BB30 frame. Creaked like mad. They sent a free replacement and that was the same. Finally gave up on it and fitted BB30 bearings (along with derlin shimano adapters) with loctite retainer and have never had another creak.
  • I had 1 in my BB30 frame. Creaked like mad. They sent a free replacement and that was the same. Finally gave up on it and fitted BB30 bearings (along with derlin shimano adapters) with loctite retainer and have never had another creak.

Christ, now you've got me thinking again. :lol:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Just follow the instructions, all will be fine.

Some bottom brackets creak because of tolerance issues, some because they haven’t been fitted properly, (including by so called professionals) some a combination of the two. Some creak because they’re beyond useful life.

The wheels mfring bbs illiminate the first, have very simple instructions to ncluding appropriate lube/grease for assembly to try and limit the second.They do require some tools.

When it’s time to replace the bearings it’s simple. Bang em out and fit new ones.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you haven't even built up the bike yet, perhaps you're looking for a solution to a problem you might not have. I have a press-fit BB in one of my bikes and it hasn't made a sound in 5 years. It's not BB30 though.

Why not build the bike and see?

What frame and what BB is currently in it?
  • Token Ninja also very good.

Same principle, but cheaper.
  • keef66 wrote:
    If you haven't even built up the bike yet, perhaps you're looking for a solution to a problem you might not have. I have a press-fit BB in one of my bikes and it hasn't made a sound in 5 years. It's not BB30 though.

Why not build the bike and see?

What frame and what BB is currently in it?

Agree with this. The frame probably comes with BB30 bearings (?). Try fitting them with proper loctite bearing retainer and use the 24mm adapters. I'm pretty sure you wont have an issue.

I was the same before building my bike. I read so many horror stories about creaking BB30 frames I went straight for a solution which was totally un needed. Wasted money and time, as well as headache in fitting/disassembly.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have 2 bikes with them - recommended. They don't screw-together, you press one side in and then screw-in the other side. There are numerous press-fit BB standards, some are OK - I've got BB86 in a couple of frames and they've been creak-free. The biggest crock is BB30 - even if the BB shell is within tolerance and the bearings installed OK, the problem is that if there's water ingress, it gathers in the BB shell and kills the bearings because the bearings are immersed in water.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    I have 2 bikes with them - recommended. They don't screw-together, you press one side in and then screw-in the other side. There are numerous press-fit BB standards, some are OK - I've got BB86 in a couple of frames and they've been creak-free. The biggest crock is BB30 - even if the BB shell is within tolerance and the bearings installed OK, the problem is that if there's water ingress, it gathers in the BB shell and kills the bearings because the bearings are immersed in water.

Should this not be the same issue with Campagnolo cups with the bearings installed on the crank spindle? Those bearings seem to last forever. It's a similar setup as BB30 in terms of bearings sitting in a recess.
  • I converted the PF 30 to a Hollowtech 2 compatible BB with one of these on a road bike I have. It’s a very neat and well made bit of kit IMHO. It works a lot better than the alternative shim reducing of the existing PF 30 method. It’s been as good as gold thus far.
  • I fitted one to a Boardman as a replacement for a PF30 that creaked like buggery since its first wet ride. I had the angular contact version from memory. Did the job nicely but you do need to be careful when fitting as the teeth you engage with the BB spanner are incredibly shallow and it's very easy to slip off. May be easier with a socket-cup driver but I was being cheap.
  • Seems to be lots of positive experiences with the adaptor you're considering. Please let us know how you get on with it if you end up using one. I may be tempted to try one again in the future.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Seems to be lots of positive experiences with the adaptor you're considering. Please let us know how you get on with it if you end up using one. I may be tempted to try one again in the future.
    The adaptors work well to reduce the original BB axle size down to 24mm or 24/22mm but are not cheap and dont solve any creak issues.

On the plus side they require no tools to fit. but if youve pressed in a PF or BB30 BB youve got the tools you need anyway apart from a cheap shimano socket. Im happy to have moved away from this format to improving the whole bottom bracket by replacing it in its entirety.

As i understand it theres a move to go back to threaded bottom brackets. What size they end up being remains to be seen
  • Seems to be lots of positive experiences with the adaptor you're considering. Please let us know how you get on with it if you end up using one. I may be tempted to try one again in the future.
    The adaptors work well to reduce the original BB axle size down to 24mm or 24/22mm but are not cheap and dont solve any creak issues.

On the plus side they require no tools to fit. but if youve pressed in a PF or BB30 BB youve got the tools you need anyway apart from a cheap shimano socket. Im happy to have moved away from this format to improving the whole bottom bracket by replacing it in its entirety.

As i understand it theres a move to go back to threaded bottom brackets. What size they end up being remains to be seen

I prefer the threaded BB ( which is on my cheapest bike ironically). It seems to give less issues with flex, without having to make the frame all ‘bulbous’ around the BB area, and no issues with creaking. The cups / bearings need a bit more looking after ( especially in the winter months ) but I can live with that.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited November 2018
    It seems to give less issues with flex.....
    More complete boll0cks. Have you any idea how much force is required to flex a modern frame at the BB - let alone a press-fit?

Why do you do it mate? You do have a modicum of knowledge - if you just stuck to what you do know you could be an asset to this forum instead of a laughing stock.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Svetty wrote:
    More complete boll0cks. Have you any idea how much force is required to flex a modern frame at the BB - let alone a press-fit?

Why do you do it mate? You do have a modicum of knowledge - if you just stuck to what you do know you could be an asset to this forum instead of a laughing stock.

Don’t forget that he would be carrying luggage amounting to a 45Kg Bergen on his back and perhaps even another 25 or so on the bike itself.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Vino'sGhost
    Svetty wrote:

That’s the problem with the internet, lots of genuinely good advice swamped in utter bo ll ocks
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Should this not be the same issue with Campagnolo cups with the bearings installed on the crank spindle? Those bearings seem to last forever. It's a similar setup as BB30 in terms of bearings sitting in a recess.

11 years now using Campag outboard cups. Never a problem. 1 set of bearings changed on a C'set that was second hand in the first place, over 4 different frames and a swap from power torque to ultra torque somewhere down the line.

Buying a frame with a press fit BB is off putting for all the problems listed here.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!