37-40mm gravel tyres?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
I need some help. My bike originally came with 40mm wired WTB Nano's. Some time ago I changed out the wheels to some slightly wider Kinesis CXD discs and also moved over to the tubeless TCS version of the 40mm Nano. Trouble is they measure up big:
20181104-104001.jpg
...and they've done this to the inside of the carbon fork:
20181104-104159.jpg

I therefore think I need some slightly narrower tyres, which is a shame as I really liked the Nano's. Ideally need to be tubeless as I already have some Gravel Grinder clinchers which I might use in the short-term, but have got used to the ridefeel and puncture protection of not having inner tubes.

37mm WTB Riddlers? Any others?
Cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Good deal for https://www.merlincycles.com/panaracer- ... 90671.html , £28/30 before automatic 10% discount (which they had on all tyres over the weekend).

Gravel King SKs used to have a reputation for sizing big for their size, but I think they re-named them this year eg. the 700x40 became 43mm.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • luv2ride
    Good deal for https://www.merlincycles.com/panaracer- ... 90671.html , £28/30 before automatic 10% discount (which they had on all tyres over the weekend).

Gravel King SKs used to have a reputation for sizing big for their size, but I think they re-named them this year eg. the 700x40 became 43mm.

Thanks for that. Those at Merlin arent tubeless ready, but i see PBK have the tubeless ones for a smidge over £26 each, but black only. Sigma have the tan wall 38's at £30 each. And I did think I'd go tan walls this time! :wink:
    Seem to have good reviews...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My 40mm Nano's measure 44.5, but my 42mm Resolute's measure 43.5mm both from WTB.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • luv2ride
    robertpb wrote:
    My 40mm Nano's measure 44.5, but my 42mm Resolute's measure 43.5mm both from WTB.

Yeah, you must have wider rims than me (think mine are 19mm inside). Those Resolutes also look too big for my frame. Have to admit am now considering a different frameset for the new year, as really wanted to try 650b too, so would go for something with much bigger clearances than i currently have. Will give the Gravel King SK's a go first...

Have seen the NS Bikes RAG+ frameset at CRC for £300 (offer ends tonight) but unclear if current or previous model. If previous, the tyre clearance isn't much bigger than what I have :roll:
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Luv2ride wrote:
    robertpb wrote:

Yeah, you must have wider rims than me (think mine are 19mm inside). Those Resolutes also look too big for my frame. Have to admit am now considering a different frameset for the new year, as really wanted to try 650b too, so would go for something with much bigger clearances than i currently have. Will give the Gravel King SK's a go first...

Have seen the NS Bikes RAG+ frameset at CRC for £300 (offer ends tonight) but unclear if current or previous model. If previous, the tyre clearance isn't much bigger than what I have :roll:

Yes my rims are 23.5mm internally.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I run 40mm Maxxis Ravager in winter and they are excellent. Hard to get hold of in the UK for some reason though.
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-545-139-ravager.