Bar Tape for Double Wrapping?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,659
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi

Can anyone recommend a bar tape that works well for double wrapping? I've ordered a new 105 groupset for my Giant Defy and will need new bar tape. I find some types don't work well with the bar end plugs etc as too bulky

I prefer double wrapped bars as after an accident a few years back I suffered nerve damage to my right arm/hand so like the extra cushioning double wrapping gives and I find it easier to grip.

Many thanks

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just tape the inner layer on with a bit of insulating tape, then finish at the bar end with the outer layer.

If I'm understanding what the problem is, then it's too much bar tape getting in the way of the bungs at the bar end - if you found a very thin bar tape that didn't have this problem then you'd have the problem of not getting much cushioning from it.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,659
    Yes, the above advice is what I'm looking for. Great stuff.

Also in the past I ran into problems when I got to the hoods as the tape I was using was quite thick, not very stretchy or flexible causing a bit of bagginess when I did the 2nd layer around the hoods.

Any suggested brands that are flexible enough? I was thinking of BBB Race Ribbon Bar Tape or Lifeline as the first layer and maybe Cinelli Gel Cork Bar Tape for the top layer?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• I use old bar tape from hoods to the step before the stem before overlaying with new.