Pump options for an Aero bike

shipley
shipley Posts: 549
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Seems a shame to ruin $m's of investment and design features by sticking a pump under a bottle cage or seat tube on an aero bike so what are the options people uses for pumps / tyre inflation ?

I've seen, but never used gas canisters....are they any good ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    Shipley wrote:
    Seems a shame to ruin $m's of investment and design features by sticking a pump under a bottle cage or seat tube on an aero bike so what are the options people uses for pumps / tyre inflation ?

I've seen, but never used gas canisters....are they any good ?

Thanks in advance

I go for a Topeak Race Rocket HP, pop it in a bag (to protect from sweat\rain), and it goes in one of my jersey back pockets.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Co2 for me. Small, light and pumps up tyres in seconds. I used a Lezyne control drive one.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A decent pump is better than co2. I'd not worry about the aerodynamics - it's not going to spoil anything. A long walk home with a flat would be much worse.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,152
    Are you doing races (time trials etc.) on the bike?

If not, a saddlepack probably won't make much difference as others have said. If done well, I don't think it spoils the look of the bike. Similarly, a nice shiny pump in a neat holder on the bottle cage doesn't look too bad either.

If you are racing and need to carry spares to get yourself home then CO2 probably fits neater into a jersey pocket than a pump (unless you have a tiny little pump). You could clip a small pump to your aero bars I guess, maybe even stash one inside with an easy to remove end plug.
  • Just stick the pump in your pocket.
  • shipley
    Interesting range of views.

Good point about the aerodynamics....not sure who I’m trying to kid !!

My racing days are over so Best Buy a small pump such as the top peak above but may buy some co2 as a matter of interest.

Thanks all
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Seen some pics of some of the Sky team 'winter' training on their F10s - with an old-school frame-fit pump wedged under the top tube. If you're not racing, it doesn't matter...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Current Cycling+ has a review of mini pumps. Top rated one is the Topeak Roadie DAX

BikeDiscount have it for £15.42 + £5.39 delivery which beats the best UK price

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/top ... 1WEALw_wcB

It has a unique double pump action ie pumps on both strokes of the handle making it a bit more efficient than some
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Could try something like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/backcountry-res ... gKgM_D_BwE

behind a drinks bottle on the down tube.

I need to replace my saddle bag as the velcro has gone and find it very difficult to find a bag that will fit a pump in without being HUGE, just because of the dimensions :'(
  • Aesthetics are the only reason for choosing an aero bike in the first place so I can understand not wanting to ruin the lines. Small lezyne pump in pocket phone the team car in case of problems.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Aesthetics are the only reason for choosing an aero bike in the first place so I can understand not wanting to ruin the lines. Small lezyne pump in pocket phone the team car in case of problems.

lol :lol:
  • joey54321 wrote:
    Aesthetics are the only reason for choosing an aero bike in the first place so I can understand not wanting to ruin the lines. Small lezyne pump in pocket phone the team car in case of problems.

lol :lol:

He has a point. The aero benefits are minimal.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    pump in my my back pocket for me. Its an aero bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • shipley
    I’m no pro but there is only 1 visible cable on the bike - it’s a work of art and I’m a bit OCD so attaching a pump to it grates.

I’ve found a small kit at Evans containing CO2 cartridges, adhesive patches and a couple of levers. I’ll get that and see how it works. New tyres are arriving tomorrow so hopefully I won’t need the CO2.

For very long rides I have my other more suitable bikes.

Thanks all - very useful