2nd Hand Suspension

stevekoz
stevekoz Posts: 103
edited November 2018 in MTB buying advice
I need some advice please on suspension forks.

Need to replace the blown suntour xcm forks on my wife's hardtail.

Havent got a massive budget so i know that I'll be limited to older forks. Going to have a budget of £100.

100 to 120mm travel
Dampning adjustment

Anyone have any recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I presume that has an 1 1/8" steerer?
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • stevekoz
    Knew something i forgot.

Yes 1 1/8.

Thanks
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Wheel size? Presumably 26"?
  • "Ride, crash, replace"
  • stevekoz
    26 or 27.5. The size of either didn't make alot of difference I believe to the head angle?

But the bike is 26" wheel.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you are going to buy second hand make sure the steerer tube is long enough.
    You can cut down or add spacers if the tube is too long but you can’t make it longer if it is too short.
    Also make sure the drop outs match the wheel you currently have (qr, 15mm, etc).

For £100 I’d look for a set of Rockshox Reba.

What do you mean when you say your wife’s forks are blown?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • stevekoz
    They are cheap suntour xct forks. They p*ss oil / fluid on every compression :(

I'm looking at rs forks or fox.

50 to 100 seems to buy old float 32s or tora or judy rs forks. Maybe an xc28 too. Not seen a reba but woukd be ideal.

Any other recommended?

TIA
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It would be cheaper to just service the forks and replace the seals.
    Check out THIS THREAD.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • stevekoz
    JBA wrote:
    It would be cheaper to just service the forks and replace the seals.
    Check out THIS THREAD.

Not sure its worth it on such a poor performing budget fork?

I realise that 2nd hand budget of £100 won't get me much. However, everything i read is that the Suntour XC forks are just shockingly poor quality and there are so many threads about them breaking after very little effort - my wife only rides the lock fire trails and park - no jumps etc. They just have knackered of their own accord - poor build quality / inexpensive parts to blame.

Buying 2nd hand won't maybe solve any issue of needing to rebuild/service a fork but i know the quality of even 10 year old Rockshox or Fox Forks is much better than that of these (or mostly any other Suntour fork). The "new" option just seems more straightforward in my position?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stevekoz wrote:
    They are cheap suntour xct forks. They p*ss oil / fluid on every compression :(
    Haha, they don't have any, what they have are poor seals and its probably muddy water thats filled the lowers, empty it out, regrease and they'll probably be fine for a bit!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.