Non Merino Base Layers?

photonic69
photonic69 Posts: 2,417
edited November 2018 in Road general
Anyone recommend good quality non Merino base layers? I'd love to be able to wear the damned stuff but last time I tried it I lasted all of about 45 seconds before ripping it off as the irritation got so bad.

Yes, I've tried a lot of super soft, good quality merino and all the same effect.

need something that works as well but won't cause me anguish!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Specialized seamless work well for me, I cant wear merino either.
  • This might sound old school, but on cold days I wear a basic full length base layer with a wool sleeveless tank top over it that fits pretty tight on me, then my jersey over the top of everything. It's brilliant for keeping the core warm and I end up never noticing an issue with my arms.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Try the cheaper Planet X ones first. I can't really tell the difference between technical layers.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Helly Hansen Lifa
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cougie wrote:
    Try the cheaper Planet X ones first. I can't really tell the difference between technical layers.

As above. The Aldi base layers are also excellent vfm, when available..
  • Bought a single £5 PX sleeveless baselayer https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPX365PE ... base-layer last month, been great so far for something under my Altura Peleton Transformer jacket on the recent cooler days, or under a jersey on milder days.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I like the dhb Aeron 'Body Map' ones, I have 3 now and they just seem to work.

If you are looking for something really warm with a very...er...niche look I'd recommend a brynje mesh base layer. Super warm but can dump heat quickly by opening a zip, great base layer.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    +1 for the Brynje layers. Also great for that ‘1990s Berlin nightclub’ look...
  • photonic69
    Imposter wrote:
    +1 for the Brynje layers. Also great for that ‘1990s Berlin nightclub’ look...

Liking the look of those! Takes me back to my Yoof! 8)

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've tried a few natural fibre base layers but concluded the synthetic stuff is better.
    I found merino great at keeping me warm, but at the expense of poor wicking and however fine the yarn, it was still itchy. Never got smelly though.
    Bamboo one was very soft, but also not so good at wicking.

At the moment I'm using some M&S thermal base layers. Thin, warm, slight compression, very good wicking. They were really cheap when I bought them but last time I looked they didn't seem any different price-wise from the cycling-specific stuff
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    When the temp gets 5 and below, does wicking actually work?
    Whatever I wear seems to get wet/damp and stays wet/damp to the end. but at least the merino is warm.
    I can tolerate the DHB 150gm merino very well, and I am normally super itchy.
    I dont do cafe stops in the winter.. so avoid club runs. Unzipping the top layer, to enjoy the clamminess .. not for me.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    JGSI wrote:
    When the temp gets 5 and below, does wicking actually work?

Think it depends on how sweaty you are and how much effort you're putting in. I can stay bone dry all day if I get the layers right, but I'm rarely giving it the beans these days
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I think I run very hot ....
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I highly rate the craft active extreme base layers - long sleeve ones are usually available for about £20.
    Craft are Swedish and may have a good claim to have invented the base layer - I find they work very well and I stay dry when using them.
    Use it as a base and then just layer up with whatever you need.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,602
    Cant fault an Aldi 'Crane' base layer to be fair.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I use the Assos base layers
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    I've used the Mountain Warehouse ones for the last few years and found them fine. Wait until they are on offer though - they were £20 each normally (a bit pricey for what it is) but they're often reduced/on BOGOF.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Anything synthetic just stinks after any decent length of time IME. Shame the OP finds wool so irritating.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Helley Hansen Warm Freeze is basically Lifa, with Merino on the outside. Not cheap, but absolutely fantastic IMO. Low odour, non itchy, breathable, warm.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Helley Hansen Warm Freeze is basically Lifa, with Merino on the outside. Not cheap, but absolutely fantastic IMO. Low odour, non itchy, breathable, warm.

This ^^ One of my most used garments is a helly half zip warm freeze - super garment and good neck coverage too.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Craft here. String vest in the summer and Active Extreme SS/LS in the colder months
  • photonic69
    Helley Hansen Warm Freeze is basically Lifa, with Merino on the outside. Not cheap, but absolutely fantastic IMO. Low odour, non itchy, breathable, warm.

Sounds great!

I guess this is the new version of this as I can't find the Warm Freeze model anywhere

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/helly-hansen-li ... rk-teal-l/

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    One of the best base layers I had was years ago - it was 100% silk, but felt and looked like elastane or similar. It was very thin but very warm and absorbed a lot of moisture before appearing wet. I have looked for them since and think the particular one I had has gone (it was a brand called "Silking" and was aimed at skiers).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Svetty wrote:
    Anything synthetic just stinks after any decent length of time IME. Shame the OP finds wool so irritating.....
    But Merino gets clammy when you're riding. Personally I find that worse than the smell if I'm on a longer ride. I use Merino for my 30 minute commute so that I don't stink when I get to work, and the clamminess isn't a problem on such a short ride, but I will always use synthetic for longer rides.

I am a fan of Helly Hansen Lifa from old, but I would prefer something a bit more stretchy and close fitting for cycling. I can't help the OP since I don't think that I have found the ideal winter cycling base layer yet.
  • apreading
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Sounds great!

I guess this is the new version of this as I can't find the Warm Freeze model anywhere

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/helly-hansen-li ... rk-teal-l/

Interesting - looks like they have stopped doing it - you can still google and find plenty:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helly-Hansen-F ... B008MJC612 for example

Looks like the 'Lifa Merino" may be the replacement but the construction is completely different and who knows what else. I think I may buy me another of the old version while they are still available.
  • apreading
    Ok - looks like they still do the old construction but only in black, not the multitude of colours they now do in the new version you posted. Thats fine by me as I only use black anyway!

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/hh-li ... -zip-48399

They also do a seamless version now:

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/hh-li ... 2-zi-48319

Too many choices...!
  • cougie wrote:

This. The sleeveless version is £4.99 and you'd pay 10 times that for a premium brand, which is pointless. Merino annoys me too, but not quite as bad as you say, I much prefer the Planet X ones.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Merino is amazing for not smelling - I've used some of mine multiple times without washing them -whereas any technical tee needs to be washed after one wearing.

I do get that its a bit more itchy than the tech stuff but I'm getting used to them as tees.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    altura thermocool is perfect.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.