GF Ventoux (Santini)

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
Anyone take part in the 2018 event?

Any thoughts?

Considering the 2019 version in June.

http://gfmontventoux.com/

Comments

• I'd be interested in views on this too; I don't fancy the Etape du Tour route so I'm looking at either this event or the Alpen Brevet in August (Silver or Gold route).
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    The long route is a nice one, quite a challenge. Some good climbs and also a descent of the Gorge de la Nesque, always a highlight of the area. An ascent of Ventoux via Bedoin (though not actually through Bedoin) with 110+ km in your legs - lovely!

Great starting town too, Vaison-la-Romaine.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    About 2,000 participants in total across both courses, impressive. The usual bonkers winning time for the long route: 04:23:49, avg 31.6km/h. :shock:
  • Did 2018 - was a bit warm, so be ready for that

Pricey, but you do get a decent jersey included, unlike the etape

Marshalled, quiet roads, so as good as closed roads really

Highlights are the descent of the Gorge de la Nesque and I'm also a fan of the climb out of Montbrun going up to the Homme Morte. Ventoux with all that's gone before it in the legs is a grind, but the descent after the finish to Maulacene is one of the most fun things you can do on a bike.

Organisation is ok - started at the back of the mass start, but once out of Vaison I wasn't held up at all.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Considering it, group of us looking for an event in either June or early September so it's an option though personally I'd just as rather do the cingles challenge thing, suppose could do both. Also looking at the Ardechoise though I don't know that area - driven through it a couple of times and that's it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Have done both, and to be honest the Cingles is a bit dull

The sportive lets you get into the surrounding area which is far more interesting than flogging up and down the same hill

Understandable that you might want to tick the Cingles off 'the list' though
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Thanks. I actually quite like the idea of flogging up Ventoux 3 times but yeah maybe the reality is different! I do like the idea of exploring the wider area a bit more, done Ventoux itself (Bedoin, Sault and Forest ascents), Gorge du Nesque and ridden over from Avignon navigating by aiming for the big mountain but never explored more widely unless you count stopping at a MacDonalds in Carpentras.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]