New bike arrived - but wrong size!

poddy
poddy Posts: 52
edited November 2018 in Road general
Hi, new bike arrived today, Ghost Nivolet x 5.8 disc, ordered the 51cm size - was the last of any size in stock so was pleased the aparently only had the 51cm left in stock.

Anyway what has turned up is a Large, 56cm size (by seat tube). Waiting to hear what Wiggle will say but as it was last bike in stock I doubt they have the correct 51cm size.

Strange thing is though it seems to be fine, although only taken a few hundred yards. Reach etc seems fine, just feels slihtly higher up, obviously.

I guess a stupid question but should I just return or stick with it, assuming a small isn't available?

I am 5 foot 6 with 29 inch inside leg and Ghost size chart indicated 51 cm. TBH not sure I would have been able to tell other than the sticker on the frame. Current bike is Specialzed with 52cm frame, did always feel slightly on the small side that one even though spot on for my height apparently.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    This sounds odd. There's a big difference between the two sizes.

I'd measure the frame to double check. That bike should feel really big for you.
  • poddy
    cougie wrote:
    This sounds odd. There's a big difference between the two sizes.

I'd measure the frame to double check. That bike should feel really big for you.
    I know, it is weird, seat tube measures 56cm and top tube about the same, as per
    Ghost website geometry chart.
  • Sounds like they've sent you a Giant, not a Ghost
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    If you are certain it's a large return it, no way it fits. Does it not say the size on it though - as above seems strange it feels ok if it's that far out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Send it back and take the full refund. Ask for some vouchers as compensation for wasting your time and the huge sense of disappointment.

I know it's shiny and new, but a bike that's clearly too big for you is a complete non-starter
  • poddy
    Thanks all,

Common sense has prevailed and it's going back, great disappointment as a really nice bike (so if anyone needs a large Nivolet x5.8 one will be back on Wiggle soon!).

Prob going for the Vitus Venon CRX disc Ultegra instead.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I d be seriously racked off if they sent a bike 3 sizes to big without seeking your agreement first. Sure they will give a refund - but you still have the hassle of returning it - and the disappointment of not getting the bike you wanted.
  • Don’t let wiggle try to wiggle out of this
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    That's just ridiculous - if they've sent a completely different size from the one you ordered you shouldn't even need to be going to any hassle yourself to return it, they should arrange for a courier to pick it up.

Might be worth getting a bike fit though or at least an opinion on sizing from a bike shop. TBH If you're thinking you need a 51 and then finding that a 56 doesn't seem all wrong then you're highly likely to end up with the wrong size. Or as a minimum, try to find out the stack and reach of your Giant and use these measurements to choose the right size for the new bike, bearing in mind that you found the Giant slightly on the small side. Although at your height I can't imagine that you'd want anything larger than a 52.
  • I'm the same height and inside leg as you and a 52 is spot on. I'm on a 54 at the moment which just about works for me, but the 52 would have been better.