hey guys. what are your thoughts?

velo73
velo73 Posts: 12
edited November 2018 in Road general
hi all.
I haven't been here for a while, but I was in need of some aid from those in living in England specifically (midlands).
I have been living and cycling in France for the past 13 years.
The chances are I will be returning to England next year.
Cycling here in France has been good and that is where my concern lies in returning to England.
I have concerns about riding on british roads with regards to safety and justice.
Especially since all you seem to see in the media, and even on cycling websites is cyclists getting killed by car drivers and no justice after it. Idiot drivers, mobile phone users, thefts and there's so much hatred towards cyclists in the UK with no reason. killing them seems to be okay.
The police don't seem to do their job, cyclists seem to be the devils minions as far as alot of the public veiws go.

So my question is, What is it really like?
Is it as bad as the media prints, is it that bad cycling on the roads in the UK.

if it is that bad I am seriously thinking about giving up cycling on my return.

What are your veiws?

thanks

Comments

• It's fine, otherwise noone would do it.

Cycling in the countryside and lanes around the UK is absolutely fine, save for the odd prick every now and then.

Ride courteously and be treated the same yourself.

Theft is probably a bigger issue though, so be sensible and you'll be fine.
  • Killerclown
    Killerclown Posts: 110
    edited October 2018
    The anti cyclist vitriol is usually a shouty minority, who get their views amplified by a media that often relies on advertising revenue, and the anti cyclist types love a good cyclist story. In short, it’s not as bad as it seems. As far as theft goes, it’s rife, and most of our police forces couldn’t give a rats arse, so don’t help when it’s happened. If you’ve got a nice bike, get it insured, and don’t leave it out of eyesight if you’re going somewhere.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The thing is nobody posts up when nothing happens. I've ridden in France and didn't notice it being much better than here ?
  • Fenix wrote:
    The thing is nobody posts up when nothing happens. I've ridden in France and didn't notice it being much better than here ?

That’s it, you never see posts about ‘not having by bike nicked’ or ‘I wasn’t close passed / knocked off today’
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    velo73 wrote:
    if it is that bad I am seriously thinking about giving up cycling on my return.

Seriously? You sound unduly anxious if you don't mind my saying. Of course, France's rural roads are a lot quieter than UK roads, the weather is better, the surfaces better, the cafe's are better.

Unless you have good reasons for returning I'd stay put!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I had a few years off cycling and got back into it recently and can honestly say over the last 6 months I cannot think of a single incident involving a motorist. I ride around the midlands (Leicester). As someone pointed out ride courteously and you’ll be fine. I also bought one of those extendable combination locks that although would be very easy to break they do act as a deterrent for opportunist theives.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    edited October 2018
    Depends entirely where you cycle, IMO.

I have to ride close to Southampton city centre to commute to/from work, on the way in before 0700 the main roads are bearable, but busier than they were ~10 years ago. On the way home, typically 1400-1500, I stick to quiet back-roads and shared pathways because it's so much more hostile.

On pleasure/training rides to the South Downs from SO18, the only bit I'm concerned about both ways is that ~3 miles closest to home, I don't like travelling either way around rush hours in the local busy traffic. However, beyond Horton Heath/ Durley/ Bishops's Waltham etc. depending on my route out, it's largely absolute bliss besides the few A roads.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • velo73
    Thanks for all the replies.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Sorry to hear you will likely have to be moving back, can I be nosey and ask what the reason is?

Have always dreamed of living in France, so very envious of your last 13 years!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • djrikki
    djrikki Posts: 83
    As NitrousOxide eluded to, it really depends on where in the UK you are returning too.

That depends if your moving into an Urban, Suburban or Countryside environment.

For the most part the UK still has many countryside retreats; especially outside of the South East.

In Lincolnshire where I live there is a massive cycling community and lots of B-roads and country lanes to choose from, but even on those you will find the idiots from time to time.

I consider myself to be fairly well travelled on two wheels here in the UK and I don't think it matters where you go you will always find an unsympathetic car or van driver; it's all about how many... and it's less than you think. Although close-passes seem to be fairly common.

It definitely is not as bad as portrayed by the media though, the UK media loves a good story.

For example: Apparently we've had the coldest, snowiest Winter every year for the past 20 years or more if you believe the media! They print sh!t day; the key is to see past it.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Surely urban France is not unlike the UK when it comes to traffic/cycling ?
    I think we can all assume rural France is very quiet.
  • I live in the peak District so pretty rural, drivers here are mostly okay, I guess they are used to leisure cyclists all over the place and in less of a hurry.
    Group rides are generally accepted as well until crossing over into Cheshire where the drivers hate you.
    Urban areas are worse especially during rush hour when for some it seems their journey is more important than your life and close passes are common.
    I generally find France much better though I have not ridden in many urban areas
  • velo73
    Daniel B wrote:
    Sorry to hear you will likely have to be moving back, can I be nosey and ask what the reason is?

Hi Daniel.

All my family is back in Northampton. I’m pretty much on my own here now.
  • velo73
    Appreciate your replies guys. & ladies.

Might head home to Northampton? but am keeping in mind Taunton, and Exeter.
    I used to live in Devon for a while.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Velo73,
    I live in Milton Keynes, regularly ride around the Salcey Forest area (Northampton side). Have never had one issue with cars in and the roads are actually pretty good. In fact in the last year I'd say the most is I've been beeped twice by a rude impatient driver - and I ride at least 4 days a week.
    That being said, I still wouldn't move back here from France!
  • velo73 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Hi Daniel.

All my family is back in Northampton. I’m pretty much on my own here now.
    Northampton, Northants and surrounding counties aren't too bad. Once your out of town the country roads are pretty quiet and drivers are pretty patient but there's always the odd nutter not wanting to slow down. The Police have recently started Operation Close Pass in the county, which hopefully might improve things further, but I haven't had anything serious to report to the Police in years.

You have to watch out for potholes of course but the roads are generally okay which is just as well as the council is stoney broke.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    i find zwift is great, NO issues with poor road surface or dirvers, no gritting or salting the roads in winter and theres always loads of people to ride with.
  • velo73
    :lol:
    i find zwift is great, NO issues with poor road surface or dirvers, no gritting or salting the roads in winter and theres always loads of people to ride with.

:lol::lol::lol::D
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    w00dster wrote:
    Hi Velo73,
    I live in Milton Keynes, regularly ride around the Salcey Forest area (Northampton side). Have never had one issue with cars in and the roads are actually pretty good. In fact in the last year I'd say the most is I've been beeped twice by a rude impatient driver - and I ride at least 4 days a week.

Snap, usually ride out from Woburn Sands to Olney, Salcey, Roade etc, only had a few issues, to be honest of late my main issue has been a cycling club causing problems to be totally honest.
  • velo73
    Step83 wrote:
    w00dster wrote:
    Hi Velo73,

Snap, usually ride out from Woburn Sands to Olney, Salcey, Roade etc, only had a few issues, to be honest of late my main issue has been a cycling club causing problems to be totally honest.

W00dster & step83

Haven’t been there for years. Salcey forest etc.
    Appreciate the feedback though.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    You will be fine in the Midlands.

I wouldn't consider any parts of Scotland though. The roads are so busy we can't get moving for the dozen or so cars which pass us over a 2 hour ride, the theft rate is so high we all try to lie about our postcodes, you can't see the scenery for the smog pollution caused by all the factories and the the rumours of the really $hit weather are actually true. Carbon frames just don't last up here without dissolving in the rain.

Oh, and the roads are all downhill, not a climb in sight.

I'd deffo stick with the Midlands.
  • Riding in the UK *my* experience:

In Cities/Towns
    1 in 2 rides someone does a close pass
    1 in 5 rides someone pulls out of a junction or across the traffic to the junction not seeing you
    1 in 10 rides a pedestrian strolls into your path whilst on their phone

In Rural areas
    1 in 5 rides someone does a close pass
    1 in 10 rides someone yells abuse for no reason
    1 in 10 rides someone tailgates too close

In all areas
    1 in 3 rides its windy
    1 in 10 rides it rains
    1 in 50 rides its too cold (<5deg)

otherwise its all good!
  • I think you're doing something wrong if you get abuse yelled at you every tenth ride.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    I think you're doing something wrong if you get abuse yelled at you every tenth ride.

I'd say they're lucky for it to only be 1/10. Where I live, on a club ride (7-8 riders) we'll get at least a couple of drivers either yelling abuse or close passing (and I mean *really* close) with the horn blaring. This is out on rural roads mostly, riding out to get on those roads is generally fine.