Athlete Lab, London

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
Has anyone been to Athlete Labor anywhere like it? It's basically group turbo training from what I can tell. I guess there might be Wattbike studios that do something similar.

Not cheap at £30 for one session, but am interested in any thoughts on it. At that rate a home turbo trainer will pay for itself pretty quickly.

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    £30!!!! Wtf?? I should start renting out my neo in my spare bedroom
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Been there a lot. Really rate it. But don't remember how much I paid, from memory it was normally for a London gym (I paid monthly recurring).
    The bikes are BSO, but with a proper feel, much better than a normal spin bike. The guys help set it up for you on your first session, then the sizing is recorded, when you turn up for your next session the bike is then set up ready for you.
    If using the place for structured, frequent training then its ideal.
    Pretty sure it used Perfpro training or did about 18 months ago when I last went.
    If I worked in London still I would be a member. The guys who work there were all excellent, they really used to help me in terms of making sure I was doing the right sessions for my goals. It wasn't just a trendy spin class, I honestly found it really useful. I raced two days a week and the guys there helped me shape my training leading up to the season and then during the season so I wouldn't be just banging out interval sessions.
    I guess its expensive and you could get your wattbike / direct drive turbo, but for me it also helped being in an environment with like minded people.
  • @w00dster thanks very much, I'm going to give it a go.

@joey54321 I know what you mean but gyms are expensive at the best of times.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    @w00dster thanks very much, I'm going to give it a go.

@joey54321 I know what you mean but gyms are expensive at the best of times.

I guess £30 for one session if you have someone there with you talking you through it and/or giving you encouragement would be justified (though I wouldn't personally understand it). It would be equivalent to a PT in a regular gym. But £30 for each individual session is madness to me. At most I use my turbo 3 x per week, that would be ~£400 a month and would pay for my (very expensive) turbo in 2 months.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and the motivation etc, that can be provided from a place like that is fantastic and I am sure it's a great place to train...I guess I just can't afford it.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've been once, it's good but pricey. If it's close to your office and means a lunchtime or early evening workout is viable then its a great option.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    £120 a month I used to pay, just checked and that offer is still available. Peloton Membership. Other Central London gyms similarly priced. Athlete Lab is focused on cycling and Triathlon, £120 isn't too bad.
  • Went this morning and was very impressed with the setup and facilities and enjoyed the group motivational element, definitely pushed me harder. I don't have a turbo at home yet so haven't done Zwift etc and imagine you might get similar drive from that.

It is expensive so I won't be using it frequently, but it's convenient for work so can see myself there a few times a month.