wednesday casting oafs into oblivion

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,432
edited October 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

office, some combination of coffee and carbs, spurn stupid requests to do stupid things, see if gmc has any 2018 capex left for me to blow on even more shiny stuff for my lot than the shiny stuff i already blagged
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Fun and games in meetings today, followed by another ale free night :(
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Morning folks,
    Managed to wobble in to work again through the gloom, bit warmer than yesterday morning. Today is another day of palming off customers and trying to sort out the stuff around my desk. Need to bring the car in tomorrow to take some stuff home.
    Dog roll inbound, better make the tea then.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Why is it only Wednesday? Completely unfair. Just had to struggle through a call/presentation with a sore throat, the others thought it was my phone line crackling. Unfortunately even if it was the weekend we are off to see the future in-laws rather than letting me sleep and potentially do a decent bike ride for the first time in weeks...

Last night was alcohol free, no improvement noticed. Normal progress may resume tonight.
  • veronese68
    Bit of a conundrum, do I do the right thing or allow someone else's bike to be the sacrificial lamb? A couple of bikes were nicked from the work bike rack a couple of months ago by some local scrotes armed with bolt croppers, as a result we started keeping our bikes in the building. Last week we were told bikes cannot be kept in the building. So I now lock my bike with a decent D lock and a hefty motorcycle chain lock which I leave here. All fairly straightforward.
    Now there is one of the managers, fairly new here, with a shiny new(ish) Synapse Disc that he locks with a D lock and cable looped through it. Fairly secure you'd think. But the D lock is only through the front wheel, so a tealeaf could cut the cable and remove the front wheel and make off with the rest of the bike.
    Should I do the decent thing and tell him, or do I leave him to it knowing the best security is to leave your bike next to one that looks fancier and is easier to steal.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    His bike is going to look great next to yours, so that's not an option.
    I guess that D lock and motorcycle chain has done wonders for your paintwork.
    Can you post a picture of it on the monstrosity thread?

Grey and cool here. Will have more coffee. Toots are away on an activity day, so i'm on my lonesome again. Wahey.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    How vain are you if you buy a lock because it looks good? No problem with paintwork, the chain is covered, being ridden in all weathers for 5 years is far worse for the paintwork.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    McNing, more Mexican shenanigans today. Found a nicely bright light as well so thats on order. Sans coffee today apparently no one bought any so its a little tense till we can shove the apprentice out to get some for us.

Hazy sun and cool here many water foul about today as well.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    How vain are you if you buy a lock because it looks good? No problem with paintwork, the chain is covered, being ridden in all weathers for 5 years is far worse for the paintwork.

No Mr Defensive/aggressive, I have seen bikes that get chained up on a daily basis and they can look terrible.
    I used to cycle to work too you know but we had a purpose built, totally enclosed bike rack within private grounds at the Chelsea Building Society.
    I sometimes took my road bike to work.

(Not that I am name dropping at all or looking down my nose at you).
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Morning,

Woke up feeling in the mood for a 13 mile run, as you do. Enthusiasm disappeared as soon as I got out of bed and things started aching.

Good progress made on garden, looks like the apocalypse happened.
    Might need to cut down a bit chunk of the neighbour's tree to replace a fence panel, which is annoying because I'd pruned it all nicely for him.

Off to fetch a new (to me) sofa this evening. I'll see if I can give the old one to next door for the dog/cat to save me getting rid of it.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

Woke up feeling in the mood for a 13 mile run, as you do.

Yes, all the time... :shock:
  • veronese68
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    No Mr Defensive/aggressive, I have seen bikes that get chained up on a daily basis and they can look terrible.
    Can being the relevant bit there, it was a pretty stupid comment you must admit. What's the point of having pristine paintwork if your bike been sold for a tenner so some scrote can pay for his next bottle of Thunderbird?
    Being a bank clerk isn't name dropping by the way. :lol:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Day of all round, premium-grade meh. Only reason I refrained from murderising a "Solution Architect" today was because he's in another country, and just out of reach. I may need to make some long-distance calls if he keeps that performance up however.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I used to cycle to work too you know but we had a purpose built, totally enclosed bike rack within private grounds at the Chelsea Building Society.
    I sometimes took my road bike to work.

(Not that I am name dropping at all or looking down my nose at you).

I just get my man servant to arrange my local branch of Coutts to come to me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Day of all round, premium-grade meh. Only reason I refrained from murderising a "Solution Architect" today was because he's in another country, and just out of reach. I may need to make some long-distance calls if he keeps that performance up however.
    I've heard there are a few blokes in Saudi who might be quite useful for that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • If I ever ride to work I just put my bike in my office and look at it.

Been to a site meeting at a food factory today, even though I know that limp pre packed sandwiches are not the best it's funny how two hours with the smell wafting under your nose makes you want one.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I have a gold rated chain, a gold rated d-lock and cable, and another silver rated chain. I think the weak link is actually the bike rack. However, my bike is outside someone's office window and in full view of 2 cameras, so if a scrote does come along with an angle grinder and has a go at the bike rack, *hopefully* security would do something about it. No paint on my frame, so unconcerned about that.

Busy day, fascinating insight into Senegalese tax. Delicious falafels at lunchtime. I'l be going back for more.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    A boring and disconcerting morning spent in local hospital outpatients, down to get re-tested and scanned on my ongoing eye issue.

The at times frankly upsetting aspect was seeing the ageing population demographic up front and personal. Place was rammed with oldies in various states of decay, including one old dear next to me who must have been well down Dementia Avenue. Her friend / carer had to give up on her procedure, and got a nurse to sit with her while she went off to retrieve her car before wheelchairing her out and home.

Shudder. Enjoy life while you can people.
  • pinno
    'Thunderbird'?! You obviously have posh scrote's down there.

Bank clerk'?! That would have been promotion for me. No, I had fun sorting out R85 applications and opening accounts for customers (who must have been of the grey haired variety) who forgot to fill out cheques or the form properly. Sometimes, I got cheques that where 'Payee' was blank in excess of £50k!
    But, fair play to the CBS, I would open the account anyway even when certain paperwork was sent back to the customer and was pending. The CBS would start paying the interest from the day we first received the application! There was no FSA obligation to do this (At the time. Don't know what the current regs are).
    Sometimes I would make a call to the applicant along the lines "...we received your application but...[such n such] was incomplete, I need to send it back to you as we are not authorised to complete a form/cheque etc but we will be paying interest from [date received]... as long as we receive the amended [article] within 28 days".
    To this, you usually ended up with a very loyal and happy customer.

The amounts of money paid into these accounts initially, was staggering.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    now now, this isn't cake stop or parliament, let's keep the standard up

gmc's bike parking is behind two layers of secure access, one more than for cars, the correct priority
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    sungod wrote:
    gmc's bike parking is behind two layers of secure access, one more than for cars, the correct priority
    As it should be. Unfortunately the motor trade doesn’t see things that way. Even when I pointed out more bikes would free up car parking space.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I've heard there are a few blokes in Saudi who might be quite useful for that.
    I'd want less subtle attempts, to make sure the message got out to all the other fools in that department to lift their game.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pinno wrote:

Bank clerk'?! That would have been promotion for me. No, I had fun sorting out R85 applications and opening accounts for customers (who must have been of the grey haired variety) who forgot to fill out cheques or the form properly. Sometimes, I got cheques that where 'Payee' was blank in excess of £50k!
    But, fair play to the CBS, I would open the account anyway even when certain paperwork was sent back to the customer and was pending. The CBS would start paying the interest from the day we first received the application! There was no FSA obligation to do this (At the time. Don't know what the current regs are).
    Sometimes I would make a call to the applicant along the lines "...we received your application but...[such n such] was incomplete, I need to send it back to you as we are not authorised to complete a form/cheque etc but we will be paying interest from [date received]... as long as we receive the amended [article] within 28 days".

Feck off Pinno ye bam
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Bit of a conundrum, do I do the right thing or allow someone else's bike to be the sacrificial lamb? A couple of bikes were nicked from the work bike rack a couple of months ago by some local scrotes armed with bolt croppers, as a result we started keeping our bikes in the building. Last week we were told bikes cannot be kept in the building. So I now lock my bike with a decent D lock and a hefty motorcycle chain lock which I leave here. All fairly straightforward.
    Now there is one of the managers, fairly new here, with a shiny new(ish) Synapse Disc that he locks with a D lock and cable looped through it. Fairly secure you'd think. But the D lock is only through the front wheel, so a tealeaf could cut the cable and remove the front wheel and make off with the rest of the bike.
    Should I do the decent thing and tell him, or do I leave him to it knowing the best security is to leave your bike next to one that looks fancier and is easier to steal.
    Do the decent thing and give some crime prevention advice. Tell him his bike “might” get nicked. Then nick it. £20 in the tea boat might teach the knob a lesson. If he is attracting thieves you are all at risk.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Veronese68 wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    As it should be. Unfortunately the motor trade doesn’t see things that way. Even when I pointed out more bikes would free up car parking space.
    I park my bike in the upstairs of the warehouse ;)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Our bike parking is in the underground car park of our building which is quite safe. Even better that the bikes are parked right by some rather nice cars that are a lot more nickable, even if the scrotes did get past security.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Our bike parking is in the underground car park of our building which is quite safe. Even better that the bikes are parked right by some rather nice cars that are a lot more nickable, even if the scrotes did get past security.
    I work for the MOD. To get to my bike the potential thief has to:
    1. Get through the gate (not as difficult as it might sound)
    2. Find the building I work in (erm, actually not as difficult as it might sound. The MOD are so dumb they label every building with huge signs so you know what building you want to attack, sorry steal from).
    3. Deliver parcel.
    4. Nick bike.
    Cee You Next Tuesdays can’t do 1-3 so it isn’t a courier. Unless they are theiving twats. They might be that.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

Feck off Pinno ye bam

I fecked off out of Cheltenham and Financial Services as a career, don't worry.
    It was easy - you drink in the right circles, you talk to the right people in the right way and you lick the right arses and you kick the rest.
    I wasn't prepared to do that.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I work for the MOD. To get to my bike the potential thief has to:
    1. Get through the gate (not as difficult as it might sound)
    2. Find the building I work in (erm, actually not as difficult as it might sound. The MOD are so dumb they label every building with huge signs so you know what building you want to attack, sorry steal from).
    3. Deliver parcel.
    4. Nick bike.
    Cee You Next Tuesdays can’t do 1-3 so it isn’t a courier. Unless they are theiving twats. They might be that.

A service vehicle visited a RAF camp you may be familiar with in order to refuel.
    The driver and his oppo went around the unit, loading any bikes they could find into the back of their wagon.