Rubbing noise on back wheel

Lleyton bland
Lleyton bland Posts: 4
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I don’t know what the rubbing noise on the back wheel is when I spin it. Can anyone tell me what this could be

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Brakes?
    Hub?
    Buckled wheel?
    Ferret stuck in the spokes?

Who knows?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited October 2018
    That's a very vague description, Lleyton bland.
    Any more details available? What bike, what tyres, what brakes?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Most likely a rubbing disc brake unless the wheel is damaged and tyre rubbing on the frame?

Anymore information so that we can help you further.
  • swod1 wrote:
    Most likely a rubbing disc brake unless the wheel is damaged and tyre rubbing on the frame?

Anymore information so that we can help you further.
    It’s slows down when I spin it so I’m guessing it’s the brakes. Also how do I fix it I’ve just started out mtb so sorry for the stupid questions
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    Start with undoing you calliper at the frame (the two hex bolts) just so they wobble a bit. Next spin the wheel then apply the brakes. Keeping the brake applied with one hand carefully tighten up the bolts to the recommended torque (usually about 5N, which is about just over finger tight if you haven’t a torque wrench)
  • Check that the lock ring on the cassette is torqued up, and dead flat, if it’s on wonky, it will cause an issue like what you describe. Although the issue will only present whilst you are actually moving the cranks.
  • Ed1973 wrote:
    Start with undoing you calliper at the frame (the two hex bolts) just so they wobble a bit. Next spin the wheel then apply the brakes. Keeping the brake applied with one hand carefully tighten up the bolts to the recommended torque (usually about 5N, which is about just over finger tight if you haven’t a torque wrench)
    Ok I have fixed thank you very much for the help I appreciate it