Anyone else find it very hard to buy bibshorts?

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited October 2018 in Road general
I seem to really be struggling with buying comfortable bibshorts. I've tried DHB, Castelli, Sportful, Rapha, Howies, Lusso, Odlo, Passioni and I am sure others. Some of those were only tried on at home and then returned, not willing to risk the £ by trying them on the road only to find they rub, chafe, roll up, have weird stitching in uncomfortable places, etc... Others 'crouching around in the bedroom' test so I did try on the road, but the last pair of genuinely comfortable shorts that I bought, without a single issue, was the DHB ASV black shorts about 2 years ago. I bought two pairs, unfortunately, I lost 1 and the other is getting very warn. I now have plenty of 'well, they'll do for the commute' shorts but still no new 'good for a club run' shorts.

Seems like it's a bit of pot luck, the sizing charts are seemingly random and you don't know until you get them out on the bike if they'll be comfortable or horrendous. I don't think I'm even that weirdly shaped either. Anyone else or is it just me?

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    It's like a saddle, very particular. And indeed, a chamois' comfort varies saddle to saddle.
    My Lussos rub me raw when sitting on a Charge Spoon, but are like sitting on a cloud when paired with a Brooks B or C17.
    I keep a spreadsheet with various brands and their sizes I've tried over the years, but they always flippin' change them!
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    I am an odd shape (so my wife says), all upper body length, skinny legs etc. so I'm reluctant to buy clothing on-line. Unfortunately shops won't carry more than a few brands so you're stuck with those.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Big Harv wrote:
    I am an odd shape (so my wife says), all upper body length, skinny legs etc. so I'm reluctant to buy clothing on-line. Unfortunately shops won't carry more than a few brands so you're stuck with those.

A particular problem for you then, you'll struggle to get shorts that don't go over your knees . I don't know why the trend has gone so long, i prefer it short enough to show off my hard earned muscles
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    ..... i prefer it short enough to show off my hard earned muscles...

What like Lederhosen hot-pants? :lol:

My dhb Flashlight shorts for commuting are a little on the short side for me. Looks rediculous with my tan line from my usual shorts showing about an inch of bright white flesh! Usual dhb shorts are about right on me though.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Big Harv wrote:

Online retailers are set up for returned items. Buy online, try on at home, keep if they fit, send back if not. You don't have to give a reason, although you can. Many offer the option to send back and replace with a different size/style/item. Some people pony up for several options to be delivered, try them all on and send back the unwanted ones for a refund.

I recently bought some dhb bib shorts, based on the fact I already had some (different design, same brand) that fitted well. The new ones turned up and were too small for me, despite being the same nominal size as the ones I already had. I sent them back and got the next size up sent out, which I wear happily now.

It all feels like a faff if you've grown up with bricks and mortar retailers but it's the way it is now.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I've never had a pair that I didn't get on with. I don't meant to sound dismissive but I don't expect to be especially comfy on a road bike, so I don't give massive amounts of thought to comfort. Maybe I've just been fortunate.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    figbat wrote:
    Online retailers are set up for returned items. Buy online, try on at home, keep if they fit, send back if not. You don't have to give a reason, although you can. Many offer the option to send back and replace with a different size/style/item. Some people pony up for several options to be delivered, try them all on and send back the unwanted ones for a refund.

I recently bought some dhb bib shorts, based on the fact I already had some (different design, same brand) that fitted well. The new ones turned up and were too small for me, despite being the same nominal size as the ones I already had. I sent them back and got the next size up sent out, which I wear happily now.

It all feels like a faff if you've grown up with bricks and mortar retailers but it's the way it is now.

This is the only way to do it and Wiggle have got this market sussed. The selection at LBS's is tiny. The biggest problem with Wiggle and their dhb brand is that they changed the sizing metrics a while back. I have a lot of M sized jerseys, base layers, tops, bibs, tights etc. Now I need to order anything from an M to an XL!!! Really hopeless on the size guides. I resent buying anything XL or even L when I'm clearly an M. It can take a few goes to get the sizing right but with free returns and fairly quick refunds it's not too bad.

I do find that when the dhb shorts/tights fit me then the are very comfortable and durable.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• joey54321
    Craigus89 wrote:
    I've never had a pair that I didn't get on with. I don't meant to sound dismissive but I don't expect to be especially comfy on a road bike, so I don't give massive amounts of thought to comfort. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

Sounds more like unfortunate. I have some (older) pairs which make the road bike very comfortable.

Glad it's not just me that is annoyed the sizing changes in the DHB range.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    figbat wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:

Indeed. Best I get with the program. Certainly by next Spring. Some of my shorts are looking tired (but not emotional) :D

I have always got on with Wermarc gear, maybe I have Belgian genes...
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    The biggest problem with Wiggle and their dhb brand is that they changed the sizing metrics a while back. I have a lot of M sized jerseys, base layers, tops, bibs, tights etc. Now I need to order anything from an M to an XL!!! Really hopeless on the size guides. I resent buying anything XL or even L when I'm clearly an M. It can take a few goes to get the sizing right but with free returns and fairly quick refunds it's not too bad.

I do find that when the dhb shorts/tights fit me then the are very comfortable and durable.

It was 'M' sized stuff for me too - I have some basic bibs in 'M' and ordered a better pair in 'M' and had to return them for an 'L' (and, like you, I am generally 'M' in everything). I've got past what the labelling says though - it might irk to buy something with the 'wrong' size lettering on it, but if it fits it fits - I didn't get bigger just because the label has an 'L' on it!
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,864
    joey54321 wrote:
    Glad it's not just me that is annoyed the sizing changes in the DHB range.
    I was delighted - their S was always too big for me. And I'm by no means the smallest cyclist I know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Brian there appears to be a glaring Assos omission on your list. Have you tried them?
    Don’t know if they’re still going or same design but Shutt VR pro team shorts were excellent and shorter in the leg.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Lusso are one of the comfiest bibs I have, and we got a work kit for Velosouth :shock: from Primal, which is brilliant.
    You could try non bibs, although they are getting harder and harder to find. Again, I have a great pair of Lussos, although the lycra is getting a bit thin now. If they work for you, they make you realise just how silly and unnecessary bib shorts are.
  • joey54321
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Brian there appears to be a glaring Assos omission on your list. Have you tried them?
    Don’t know if they’re still going or same design but Shutt VR pro team shorts were excellent and shorter in the leg.

As it happens I have a pair of Assos S7 on the way to try. They are at the very top of my budget, but if they work it'll be worth it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,864
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Thanks, Nap, but DHB stuff now fits me just fine. :)

I've given up on the club's printed shorts, as the printing process seems to reduce their longevity quite a bit. Past brands used OK have been Gore, Endura, Sportful and Kalas. But it's nice when you find a style/size that you know will fit every time, and do a decent job.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Bibs are a nightmare. The best I've had were a pair of Pactimo Summit. They then brought out an even more expensive pair marketed as 12 hour bibs and they are nowhere near as good for me. I've tried Castelli, Assos, Exteondo, Endura, DHB and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. the problem is, when you hit the sweet spot with a pair you end up reaching for them on every ride wherever possible and wear them out!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • joey54321
    Yup, this is why I want to fit a decent pair and buy up 3-4 pairs of exactly the same short.
  • figbat wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    The biggest problem with Wiggle and their dhb brand is that they changed the sizing metrics a while back. I have a lot of M sized jerseys, base layers, tops, bibs, tights etc. Now I need to order anything from an M to an XL!!! Really hopeless on the size guides. I resent buying anything XL or even L when I'm clearly an M. It can take a few goes to get the sizing right but with free returns and fairly quick refunds it's not too bad.

It was 'M' sized stuff for me too - I have some basic bibs in 'M' and ordered a better pair in 'M' and had to return them for an 'L' (and, like you, I am generally 'M' in everything). I've got past what the labelling says though - it might irk to buy something with the 'wrong' size lettering on it, but if it fits it fits - I didn't get bigger just because the label has an 'L' on it!

Interesting, I've gone from a large to a medium for shorts. Sizing seems pretty arbitrary!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    handful wrote:
    Bibs are a nightmare. The best I've had were a pair of Pactimo Summit. They then brought out an even more expensive pair marketed as 12 hour bibs and they are nowhere near as good for me. I've tried Castelli, Assos, Exteondo, Endura, DHB and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. the problem is, when you hit the sweet spot with a pair you end up reaching for them on every ride wherever possible and wear them out!

Out of interest, why did you find the Pactimo Summit Stratos to be worse than the Summit Raptors?

Like you, the Summit Raptors are the best I've tried (I ended up getting a second pair). I'm curious to try the Stratos to see if they are a step up but if they're not I'd just get more of the Raptors.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Reminds me of running shoes. If you find your Goldilocks’ Porridge pair, buy a few if you can!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • handful
    MrB123 wrote:
    handful wrote:

Out of interest, why did you find the Pactimo Summit Stratos to be worse than the Summit Raptors?

Like you, the Summit Raptors are the best I've tried (I ended up getting a second pair). I'm curious to try the Stratos to see if they are a step up but if they're not I'd just get more of the Raptors.

I don't think they compare in any way. They don't fit the same, are a bigger size, not tight enough on the leg, material used not as nice and the pad nowhere near as good for me. Summit Raptors again for me next time when they are on sale again! Bot as the topic suggests, you might love them!!
    Orbea Rise
  • I buy a size smaller than I think I should. The best I’ve found so far (for me) cost me £15 from eBay (Fdx) and I’ll be sticking with these for now, despite the looks I get as I blast past £170 Castellis on the climbs.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    handful wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    handful wrote:

I don't think they compare in any way. They don't fit the same, are a bigger size, not tight enough on the leg, material used not as nice and the pad nowhere near as good for me. Summit Raptors again for me next time when they are on sale again! Bot as the topic suggests, you might love them!!

31% off at the moment with the code AUTUMN31
  • handful
    MrB123 wrote:
    handful wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:
    handful wrote:

31% off at the moment with the code AUTUMN31

Thanks!
    Orbea Rise
  • tyke999
    tyke999 Posts: 50
    Castelli free aero bibs are the best I have tried so far..from 2hours to 6 hours in the saddle with no chafing....Also going to try some ALE and La Passione as soon as my wife allows me to spend !!
  • handful
    Tyke999 wrote:
    Castelli free aero bibs are the best I have tried so far..from 2hours to 6 hours in the saddle with no chafing....Also going to try some ALE and La Passione as soon as my wife allows me to spend !!

I can't get on with that Kiss pad at all. No chafing but just not comfortable. the Pactimo are far superior in every way for my @rse, fit and overall quality.
    Orbea Rise
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Reminds me of running shoes. If you find your Goldilocks’ Porridge pair, buy a few if you can!

Three pairs of Asics Metarun would cost me £600! :lol:

(I generally agree though)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/