Longest cycle ride?

Needynaf
Needynaf Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Road general
I'm thinking of doing of doing a the coast to coast challenge next year, although furthest i've done so far is only 35 or so miles - have you got any pointers for training for this?

Comments

• Needynaf wrote:
    Ok all - serious ques for blokes as it's been giving me some grief recently on my bike - how to arrange your package and peices on a long ride?
    Anyone got any good suggestions for comfort or positioning? i find it mighty uncomfortable to tuck everything down into the chamois pad , but rather to point the banana up and let the grapes sit as free as possible as high as possible in the shorts.
    I go for the lift and separate technique, pushing down and tucking in tends to lead to chafing on the longer stints, it doesn’t seem to matter how good the chamois is, or how much minty arse butter is used either.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I'm sure there are other sites you can go on for getting your kicks
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Great first post...
  • imposter2.0
    Needynaf wrote:
    I'm thinking of doing of doing a the coast to coast challenge next year, although furthest i've done so far is only 35 or so miles - have you got any pointers for training for this?

Start riding further.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Imposter wrote:
    Needynaf wrote:

Start riding further.

This. You don't need strength, you need stamina/endurance. Crank it up to 60, then 80, then 100 miles. Once you can do 80 to 100 miles, then over that is relatively simple physically, it then becomes more an issue of nutrition and mental strength.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pah, a short pootle.

A mere girl can do 156 miles a day, for 125 consecutive days.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... ing-record

And a manly man (well a Scotsman anyway) did it in 79 days. All 18,000 miles.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/lucywath ... rld-tour-7
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ride more. A group of West Suffolk wheelers are doing C2C next year. We just ride alot.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    You have to doubt the motives of the OP. His actual first post (which he has since edited/deleted) was the following:
    Needynaf wrote:
    Ok all - serious ques for blokes as it's been giving me some grief recently on my bike - how to arrange your package and peices on a long ride?
    Anyone got any good suggestions for comfort or positioning? i find it mighty uncomfortable to tuck everything down into the chamois pad , but rather to point the banana up and let the grapes sit as free as possible as high as possible in the shorts.

Before he changed it to what is currently there.
    Needynaf wrote:

Maybe he'll change it again...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If he was a real man, he'd just do what I do, sling it over my shoulder and tuck it into the pocket on the back of my jersey.

And by banana he probably means odd shaped mushroom.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ride more.
  • It is half term, let’s remember that.
  • imposter2.0
    It is half term, let’s remember that.

That doesn't explain your continued presence, unfortunately..
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Needynaf wrote:

If you can cycle 35 miles you can likely do 50 or more, it's just a case of riding for longer, and the associated energy and liquid replenishment.

Just slowly up your mileage, you'll be surprised at what you can do. You'll probably find it's wrists, shoulders and backside that limit you initially, but they and you toughen up, and some gym or yoga work can help too.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    DFTT
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Needynaf wrote:
    I go for the lift and separate technique, pushing down and tucking in tends to lead to chafing on the longer stints, it doesn’t seem to matter how good the chamois is, or how much minty ars* butter is used either.

Hit up a lady boy for a bit of their special tape, you know (you mean you don't know???) the one they use to tuck it right down and back
    you'll need to ride out of the saddle the whole way or you might sit on a couple of nuts