Rockshox Recon - Questions

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had a few issues with the above forks for a few years now but I've dismissed them as I was using the bike as more of a hybrid. However I've started using it more as a MTB as well recently so now they come to light a little more.

They might not really be issues but may just be me using them incorrectly!?

The problems I have are with the dials on the top of the crowns. On the one it has the adjuster with a padlock on. Setting this to unlock makes the fork travel quite a long way, setting it to lock makes it travel a couple of inches at most. (I believe that is the correct operation) However the dial has no resistance, although it works it turns with the slightest touch, you can probably blow the dial round - when riding it moves to wherever it fancies.

On the other crown it has the U turn adjuster - I have no idea if this works, it moves a small way in either direction then clicks. I can't really tell any difference in fork movement when doing this. As you release it springs back to the position it started in, so I thought it might be that you click it anti-clockwise repeatedly but that doesn't seem to do anything. It is set at an OK sort of range, so I've kind of left this one, and just keep trying to make sure the lock one is set to unlock / lock depending on if I'm on road or off road.

Is this correct operation? Anything I can do to improve either of these, I note there is some kind of adjuster on the bottom of a fork but as I don't know what that is for, I've left it alone!

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    It sounds like it needs servicing.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If the lock knob has an allen bolt in top of it make sure it is tight.

Have you set the correct air pressure in the forks?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    JBA wrote:
    If the lock knob has an allen bolt in top of it make sure it is tight.

Have you set the correct air pressure in the forks?

It just has a little circlip on the top.

I don't think they are pressurised with air (willing to be proven wrong though!)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    U Turn is for adjusting the length of travel. RS made dozens of different Recon models, so work out which you have and find the manual on the RS website.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools