Cytech Home Mechanic Course

blokie13
blokie13 Posts: 93
edited December 2018 in MTB general
Hi Guys,

Has anybody completed the Cytech 2 day Home Mechanic course? If so, any feedback?

https://www.cytech.training/courses/home-mechanic/

It's a tad under £300 for a 2 x day course, and as a BC member I'd get a £99 Park Tools kit for "free" including an MT-40 Multi-tool.
Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see much point unless you want to do more and become a bike mechanic, which is a sh1t job that pays badly.

It's all simple basic stuff that you can learn off the Parktools website and millions of Youtube videos.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    cooldad wrote:
    Can't see much point unless you want to do more and become a bike mechanic, which is a sh1t job that pays badly.
    It's all simple basic stuff that you can learn off the Parktools website and millions of Youtube videos.
    ^^^This ^^^^^ and it describes most riders who do their own stuff 8)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    @Blokie13: It sounds like the shoulder is still not ready for mtb and you are bored and looking for something bike specific to help while away the time. Does that sound about right? :(
    When I was in a similar situation, I spent time looking on the CRC website and elsewhere and ended up converting my bike from 2x10 to 1x12! (OUCH!) :shock:

So, don't do what I did, do what the previous respondents suggest and use the free resource on the Parktools website and elsewhere. I know reading about it is not the same, but treat it like a work project, ie you are creating a training manual for someone else. Set it up on your computer with folders; "wheels and hubs", "fork", bottom brackets", and so forth. Then when you find anything really useful on the 'net, file the link in the relevant folder. Come the day when you are back on the mtb and need to do some servicing, you know where to look. :lol:

Get well soon! :)
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I haven't done the home mechanic course but I have done the Cytech Technical One and Technical Two courses.

I agree that if you are a reasonably practical kind of person with moderate or better competency with tools, you can learn how to complete most jobs using the Park Tool guides and YouTube.

What you can't do with those is expect an answer to a question while you're in the middle of a task and need some additional or specific guidance! A video guide can't appraise the finished job, critique your technique or give you feedback.

Whether doing a course has a "point" for you depends on what you want out of it. I wanted to fill in some gaps in my knowledge, have a bit more of a mentored learning experience than online videos can give and come away with a professional qualification. Bicycle mechanic might be a low paid job, but I thought that as something to earn extra pocket money over my pension when I decide to give up my "proper" career, using tools I already own, doing something I enjoy, having the certificates made some sense.

The courses were challenging and fun in their own right too.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • I've been looking at these recently for a similar reason as Batmo.. as a qualified/experienced engineer, I'm used to getting my hands dirty! I have set up my MTB better that the bike shop i returned it to 3 times to sort out the rear mech, but as Batmo said, YouTube doesn't give you feedback.

I suppose it comes down to your confidence - your only feedback maybe a safe ride or a road/track side repair.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I got back into cycling by building a commuting bike and then followed that with an MTB, all from individual components, nothing is hard, what may look hard is just a series of simple steps, if you are capable of doing it I really see little benefit in paying out to find you're capable of doing it! The only thing I didn't do for a couple of years was wheel building, now that's in my repertoire as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I think how you like to learn and your levels of confidence have a bearing on whether or not a training course is of benefit.
    You can always find tech docs or videos but they are not so great if you hit issues, are still not totally sure if what you are doing is correct, nor providing the little tips and tricks.
    I did a one day training course a few years ago (not Cytech). I think it was Milton Keynes way in a fully equipped workshop. You were encouraged to take your own bike and which you then worked on to remove BB, headset etc.
    I cant remember cost, but you basically came away with a lot more practical experience and a serviced bike (or at least the list of parts needing to be replaced to complete the service).
    Removing & fitting other types of BB, headsets etc were also demo'd on other bikes so you got a full range.
    Since I did the training, I have done all of my own servicing and repairs and also built my last bike.
    Only wheel building/truing is still to be conquered.