Custom Moulded Saddles

Laardgx
Laardgx Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Having recently had surgery on what was a saddle sore turned abscess, I have to have a few weeks off the saddle whilst my butt cheeks toughen up.
I have been considering purchasing a customer moulded saddle but am unable to find any outside the USA.
Does anybody know of a UK supplier that offer custom moulded saddles?
Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I am not an expert by any means, in fact I didn't know you could get custom moulds for saddles.

Whilst having a large soft saddle is know to be a bad idea and that the general thing is to have a firm saddle with a little give I would not have thought that having something moulded to your shape would be a good idea either.

At least with a generic, firm saddle you can still move around a little allow pressure points to be relieved. A custom saddle may restrict that movement making the pressure points worse as you can't get any relief.

I stand to be correct though.
  • I'd tend to agree with the above, and maybe try get to the "ahem", bottom of why/ you got the sore in the first place (and how it managed to manifest into a abscess)

Then I'd probably head into the dark, murky world of experimenting with saddles (where I'm currently at after over a decade on the same saddles).
  • ...having said that, if you still wanted to explore the possibility of custom, then maybe sound out a few carb'tech companies like fibre-lyte.co.uk, who might be able to help
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The classic Brooks saddles mould to your bum with time ?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Leather saddle works for me. I had a hip injury which meant my backside dug into the saddle - even wearing padded shorts and a plastic saddle I could see the indentation where I was digging in.

I went for the brooks imperial - and for me it has worked so well I have them on all my bikes now.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    You could try saddle mapping. Cyclefit do it maybe some others. It's basically a pressure mat on a saddle and shows how you sit and move on the bike. It can be v.informing for showing you may be pedalling and sitting with more emphasis on one side.