Which XC Tire ?

CanyonGuy1
CanyonGuy1 Posts: 6
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there
I have more or less always been riding the Schwalbe tires in some model or another.
Preferably I mostly do XC trails and Marathons and is currently running the Racing Ralph in a 29x2.1" size both front and rear. I have relative narrow rims on my current rig (Crossmax ST think, they are 19mm).
I´m looking to try out something different and has been focusing on the Maxxis IKON 3C EXC 2.2 vs the Rocket Ron EVO Addix tyre in a 2.25" size.
Which would you preffer? I´m worried that the tyres will be too wide for the rims, which then feels like it is "spungy" when cornering.
I´m also in doubt the differences in the 2 tyres when wet and slightly muddy. Does anyone know how the Maxxis is coping this??

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Those rims will take a tyre up to 2.3, so in theory would be fine in terms of size. Tyre sizes do tend to vary based on manufacturers and I believe Maxxis general come up thinner, so think you would be fine. Often people do tend to prefer thinner tyres in the mud as they cut through to get grip on harder stuff underneath, but then you would probably find the wider tyres are better over roots and rocks. All depends what type of courses you are riding.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)