oakley road prizm v ruby prizm

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, is there much difference between the road prizm lenses and the ruby prizm lenses in oakleys? Saw a pair I like but has ruby prizm, was hoping for road prizm ones, but like the combo of black frame and the ruby prizm lenses. Just wondered, is it worth holidng put for the road prizm lenses?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I can't tell any difference between prizm lenses and normal Oakleys. It's only a piece of polycarbonate with some funky names attached to it.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As above, I doubt you would notice any difference.
    I have standard and Prizm lenses and they are just different colours, one is no better than the other.
  • Ive had loads of Oakleys and now have the Road Prizm, which to be fair is good, but like the other posters I'm not convinced it isn't just marketing blurb to sell us old technology with a new name..we all seem to fall for it..hence they keep doing it!
    Take a look at the newest frames, are they Aero something or other...I thought the Jawbreakers were big/ugly, but tried them..and yes, they were too big/ugly! Next think will be full blown masks !
    Im trying desperately to kick the upgrade habit..its worked with the phone..just need to adapt that willpower to bike bling now!!!!
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    diamonddog wrote:
    I have standard and Prizm lenses and they are just different colours, one is no better than the other.

Prizm are a huge upgrade on the lenses in Factory Pilots.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    ChippyK wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

Prizm are a huge upgrade on the lenses in Factory Pilots.

How ? Why would Oakley put crap lenses in their Pilots ?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Hi, is there much difference between the road prizm lenses and the ruby prizm lenses in oakleys? Saw a pair I like but has ruby prizm, was hoping for road prizm ones, but like the combo of black frame and the ruby prizm lenses. Just wondered, is it worth holidng put for the road prizm lenses?
    do you mean ruby iridium?

from oakley's site:

road prizm...
    Light Transmission: 20%
    Light Conditions: Medium Light
    Contrast: Increased
    Base Lens Color: Rose

ruby iridium...
    Light Transmission: 16%
    Light Conditions: Bright Light
    Contrast: Neutral
    Base Lens Color: Grey

note the base lens colour, personally i like neutral, even the slight rose tint of the road prizm makes a nice day look a bit dull

i've ridden a lot with road prizm and sapphire iridium (same transmission, but neutral) in conditions from dull cloudy, raining, early morning as the sun rises, blazing sun, in practical terms there's no difference in visibility, just the nasty tint with prizm

i'd get the ruby iridium, not the road prizm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    ahh, i didn't see it as it's not listed as a 'sport' lens, specification is...

Light Transmission: 17%
    Light Conditions: Bright Light
    Contrast: Increased
    Base Lens Color: Bronze

...tint sounds as bad as the road prizm, also pass a bit less light

personally i wouldn't get any of the tinted lenses, really depends if you are ok with it though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Prizm lenses are use specific, what they try to do with the colour of the lens is filter or enhance certain colours depending on activity. The Prizm Road enhances blacks and greys, to help you see more definition of the road surface. Prizm Ruby is listed as an everyday lens, not really sure what colours it's trying to enhance or filter.

I don't have either the Prizm Ruby or the Ruby Iridium, but do have the Prizm Road, which is a very good lens. It's hard to describe, it's quite subtle, I wouldn't say there isn't a noticeable difference in the road surface, but overall colours are more vibrant. But I guess you'll get that with any contrast lens.

Also I would use them in a greater range of light conditions than a "normal" Oakley lens. I obviosuly won't wear them in the dark or pouring with rain and would usually go to something darker if it was really bright. But they are pretty good for anything else. As a medium lens, pretty hard to beat.

And how about these, if you decide to go Prizm Road rather than Ruby?

https://www.igero.com/sunglasses-c108/f ... ?attribute[1]=93
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    what about photochromic kenses, they any good?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've some third party photochromic lenses. Good for changeable days - so that's pretty much most days.

They don't change as fast as Oakley or go as dark but lots cheaper.
  • Yeah, good for changeable conditions, not too good in really bright light. Just not dark enough for me. And let's be honest, not very bling! Depends on what your thing is I guess.