Aero tests

13»

Comments

• hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Hambini for Prime MInister. Talks utter sense and a very decent chap to boot. And his bottom brackets are a work of art.

LOL...

I don't have the patience and I would make a rubbish politician because I say it like it is.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    This makes me very happy. I'd almost come to believe the marketing hype telling me that my lovely Campagnolo Boras were outdated aero tech but according to these tests they're pretty much as good as anything else of the same depth, as long as I keep a 23mm tyre on the front.

Plus the AC3 braking is great, they look awesome and Tour magazine has established that they won't melt.

I do wonder what tyres the pro teams running these wheels are really using though. The 24.2mm width is perfectly matched to a 23mm tub but a 25mm tub will be distinctly sub-optimal aerodynamically. A couple of teams seem to be running the Corsa 25mm but I wonder if they are 23mm labelled as 25mm. Being a sad git I've spent far too much time looking at pictures trying to gauge the relative width of the tan walls and the brake tracks.. :D
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    On the subject of the Boras.

It amazes me that the bike industry has done a cracking job on the masses to convince them a wider wheel is a faster wheel. The basic premise in any aerodynamic scenario is to reduce the frontal area to minimize drag. Yet wider wheels are perceived to be aerodynamically faster.

I have seen a few individuals in a couple of the wind tunnels the public have access to and they are quick riders. The majority of them are using a narrow front wheel with a 20mm/23mm tyre. Nobody averaging more than 45km/h turned up with a 25mm tyre.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    To be fair, I don't think anyone has been saying that wider rims/tyres are more aerodynamic, more that wider tyres have lower rolling resistance, and have less aerodynamic penalty with wider rims, giving, hopefully, less drag overall.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    What we had 3 years ago was, wider rim = comfortable and less rolling resistance for a given tyre width, and wider isn't as aerodynamically bad as you would think if the rim is wider. This has somehow morphed into wider = more aero. Which is clearly nonsense, all other things being equal.

Too much simplification I suppose.

You see, we do actually agree.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Getting millions of cyclists worldwise to replace their older narrow wheels with new wider ones is a tactic that is in the interests of the industry as a whole.
    Gotta keep the revenue stream going......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    Getting millions of cyclists worldwise to replace their older narrow wheels with new wider ones is a tactic that is in the interests of the industry as a whole.

File under disc brakes and gravel bikes. It's textbook MMAM (Marketing to Middle Aged Mugs).
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Svetty wrote:

File under disc brakes and gravel bikes. It's textbook MMAM (Marketing to Middle Aged Mugs).

Lets work back over the recent past.

9/10/11/12 speed.
    Carbon.
    Sportive bike.
    Carbon wheels.
    Narrow tyres.
    Tubs.
    Garmin.
    Aero frames circa 2011.
    29'er.
    Disk.
    Aero disc.
    Aero helmets, faster, but sweat like Jimmy Savile in a morgue.
    Aero Endurance - all day epic.
    Aero Endurance disc - all day epic.
    Wider wheels.
    Wider tyres.
    Affordable power meter.
    Wahoo.
    Zwift.
    Tubeless is better.
    Gravel bike.
    Bike packing.
    Race disk.
    Aero disc stiff as f**k but room for 28mm as we are all 10 years older than the start of this list.

Oh f**k aside from 27.5 and Zwift effectively done the lot :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • neeb
    One problem is that there's no such thing as independent, quality cycling journalism anymore (if indeed it ever existed). Cycling media has effectively become a blatant extension of the marketing departments of the big brands, there isn't even a pretence of objectivity these days.

As regards the "Marketing to Middle Aged Mugs", this might be true but it seems to be younger people who are most taken in by the whole drive towards turning road bikes into dull-riding utility bikes thing. Just like the 1990s when everyone was persuaded to buy mountain bikes for urban riding and general transport use, thus depriving a whole generation of much of the joy of riding a well-designed bicycle for road use.

The problem with the road bike is that it has largely been perfected, bar some ongoing slight beneficial tweaking. And a good bicycle will last a lifetime if well-maintained. That's a problem for people trying to sell as many of them as possible..
  • bristolpete
    neeb wrote:
    One problem is that there's no such thing as independent, quality cycling journalism anymore (if indeed it ever existed). Cycling media has effectively become a blatant extension of the marketing departments of the big brands, there isn't even a pretence of objectivity these days.

As regards the "Marketing to Middle Aged Mugs", this might be true but it seems to be younger people who are most taken in by the whole drive towards turning road bikes into dull-riding utility bikes thing. Just like the 1990s when everyone was persuaded to buy mountain bikes for urban riding and general transport use, thus depriving a whole generation of much of the joy of riding a well-designed bicycle for road use.

The problem with the road bike is that it has largely been perfected, bar some ongoing slight beneficial tweaking. And a good bicycle will last a lifetime if well-maintained. That's a problem for people trying to sell as many of them as possible..

Very true. It seems that in terms of riders, many came but a lot have gone, realising it is a tough tough sport. As with all sports rebooting and going again is a hard part. As I sit typing this I want to be out riding but lashing down, have completed my yearly quota of miles and any external mileage is a bonus so nothing really lost, just a reminder that the smart turbo comes out to play in 7 days time and the 'gravel' bike comes out of hibernation which I am excited about.

Myself and forum member Gweeds were also discussing stuff earlier and down here in South Devon there are late teenagers / guys in their 20's smashing up Strava with insane 'segment' times and speeds with carbon frames and wheels with 11 speed di2 and so on unaware of the halcyon days of down tube shifting and no computer just guestimated miles and not segmented riding.

All relative of course some of us can remember having just three TV channels which turned off at night :mrgreen:
  • First.Aspect
    neeb wrote:

Very true. It seems that in terms of riders, many came but a lot have gone, realising it is a tough tough sport. As with all sports rebooting and going again is a hard part. As I sit typing this I want to be out riding but lashing down, have completed my yearly quota of miles and any external mileage is a bonus so nothing really lost, just a reminder that the smart turbo comes out to play in 7 days time and the 'gravel' bike comes out of hibernation which I am excited about.

Myself and forum member Gweeds were also discussing stuff earlier and down here in South Devon there are late teenagers / guys in their 20's smashing up Strava with insane 'segment' times and speeds with carbon frames and wheels with 11 speed di2 and so on unaware of the halcyon days of down tube shifting and no computer just guestimated miles and not segmented riding.

All relative of course some of us can remember having just three TV channels which turned off at night :mrgreen:
    I remember Thatcher being elected, the first breakfast tv, channel 4 the ZX80, and 5 speed freewheels. And I can confidently say:

Downtube shifters were ALWAYS crap.
  • bristolpete
    neeb wrote:

I remember Thatcher being elected, the first breakfast tv, channel 4 the ZX80, and 5 speed freewheels. And I can confidently say:

Downtube shifters were ALWAYS crap.

Frank Bough. Another TV deviant ....
  • First.Aspect
    I'll raise your Frank Brough a David Icke.
  • Lizards! And yes, downtube shifters were pants.
  • bristolpete

Will see that with a J.R.Ewing.... :mrgreen:
  • First.Aspect

Will see that with a J.R.Ewing.... :mrgreen:
    J R Hartley.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Downtube shifters are crap compared to STI style levers granted, but when it's all we had I never noticed. It was just the way things were.
  • neeb
    They were a considerable improvement on the ones that were fitted to the seatstays and involved undoing the quick release while riding (cambio corsa?). Crap is relative I suppose. STIs will be crap when we have telepathic shifting. Although some people will say that getting electrodes implanted in your skull just to change gear is overkill and become nostalgic about STIs.
  • bristolpete
    neeb wrote:
    They were a considerable improvement on the ones that were fitted to the seatstays and involved undoing the quick release while riding (cambio corsa?). Crap is relative I suppose. STIs will be crap when we have telepathic shifting. Although some people will say that getting electrodes implanted in your skull just to change gear is overkill and become nostalgic about STIs.

Team SKY ? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: