Tubeless things

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Picked up some new to me tubeless ready rims last night, just looking for advise on tyres and sealant.

Rims in question are DT Swiss Tricon 1450's

Also do I specifically need the DT Swiss tubeless valves or can I use any?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    DT swiss have a funny way of defining tubeless ready. Look at the rim profile specifically the bead hook and note the differences compared to Mavic UST or shimano Hutchinson standard. Tyre manufactures make there tyres to conform to shimano hutchinson standard. DT Swiss have done there own thing and it not equivelent.

So yes tubeless ready is a bit too broadly applied.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Ive had no issues with DT Swiss R460's

As recommended by Ugo, the Maxxis Padrone is an excellent all year round tyre. Can usually be had from Sigma Sports or similar for £35-40

Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex Tyre Sealant works. Buy good quality valves that the valve seat sits nicely in the rim.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tubeless compatiability is more than just getting tyres to seat and seal. Some DT Swiss rims (the new ones which need the nipples and washers) have bead hooks that are too sharp and the wrong orientation and that can damage the tyre in use. A number of DT Swiss wheesl do not conform to the Shimano Hutchinson standard and what the tyres are made too..... problems can result in service. Also the R460 rim does not have any features to stop the tyre unseating at zero pressue. Do your tyres unseat at zero pressue by themselves or with light hand pressure. If they do then carry a tube. If they dont they you are fine. As I said seat and sealing is not what tubeless compatibility is about. You can get a tubeless tyre to seat on a archetype rim. Thats not a tubeless compatible rim.

Incidently the maxxis padrone is a marmite tyre. here people like them. Go over to weight weenies and they are hated for there dead ride feel. Even JRA don't like them and have had trouble fitting them to a number of rims. I am undecided on the tyre. They seem too loose a fit to a number of rims and are not so easy to inflate unless you use lots of tape. As a concequence I am not sure about the tyre.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Bead doesnt look overly friendly when compared to some MTB tubeless rims I have, It is odd having a rim with no spoke holes, incidentally I've ordered a rebuild kit for the front and rear as the spokes it turns out are a bit of a pain to get hold of.

DT%20Swiss%20Tricon%20wheels%20-%20rim%20bed.jpg?itok=cLthAVMg

For the time being I've slapping on some Schwalble Pro 1 V Guard's with Latex tubes, which seem to be holding fine.

Are these rims a variant of the R460? I initially thought they cant be as they dont have the rim insert for the plug. Likely they share the same bead hooks though so makes no odds.