Phantom calories using power meter.

kesa
kesa Posts: 35
edited October 2018 in Road general
Hi!

Over the last few rides i have noticed something odd about my calories worked in that when i am stationery (i am having a rest mid ride with the bike resting against a fence) the calories continue to rise. This happens maybe 1 calorie per 10 seconds consistently. Is anyone else having this?

It reminds me of the heart rate algorithm watches/bike computers use without a power meter present to guess calories worked so i am thinking it might be a glitch in the software? I am using a left crank powermeter, heartstrap and a Garmin Edge 520 with the latest firmware update.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Calories burnt is a pure guestimate - even with power meter and hrm.

you constantly burn calories anyway - just being alive does that.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    The average male requires 2500 calories a day and 2000 for a woman. Thats doing normal daily activities (not strenuous exercise) Problem is, average is a very broad estimation. Height, age, physical fitness, hydration, plus a dozen or so other things with effect this number. In this case I would say, take any device or test which says you burned X amount of calories with a pinch of salt.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slowbike wrote:

He might be dead and hasn't told us.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cooldad wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

He might be dead and hasn't told us.

Did he actually ever exist - that should be the question............
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • SJH76 wrote:
    The average male requires 2500 calories a day and 2000 for a woman. Thats doing normal daily activities (not strenuous exercise) Problem is, average is a very broad estimation. Height, age, physical fitness, hydration, plus a dozen or so other things with effect this number. In this case I would say, take any device or test which says you burned X amount of calories with a pinch of salt.

Watch that sodium level
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • The power meters found on most bicycles use a piezo electric strain gauge. To put it simply strain on the sensor results in a potential difference being created, and therefore an electric current, which is proportional to the strain exerted. The sensor doesn’t go truly ‘dead’ once you’ve started riding, there’s always going to be a small residual current produced, which is what’s giving the increasing readings on your device.
  • kesa
    kesa Posts: 35
    Thanks guys!

I did an experiment this morning and I found the problem. Powermeters are designed to automatically switch off after a period of inactivity. When i was having a rest the powermeter went to sleep and my Garmin switched to the heart rate algorithm which explains the phantom calories. I proved this when i rotated the crank to wake up the power sensor and then the calories stopped rising.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    The power meters found on most bicycles use a piezo electric strain gauge. To put it simply strain on the sensor results in a potential difference being created, and therefore an electric current, which is proportional to the strain exerted. The sensor doesn’t go truly ‘dead’ once you’ve started riding, there’s always going to be a small residual current produced, which is what’s giving the increasing readings on your device.
    utter nonsense as usual

beat imposter to it :D
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    sungod wrote:
    The power meters found on most bicycles use a piezo electric strain gauge. To put it simply strain on the sensor results in a potential difference being created, and therefore an electric current, which is proportional to the strain exerted. The sensor doesn’t go truly ‘dead’ once you’ve started riding, there’s always going to be a small residual current produced, which is what’s giving the increasing readings on your device.
    utter nonsense as usual

beat imposter to it :D

Dammit.. ;)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I should know better, but I've now had a chance to fact-check Milemuncher/Bikergrovish/Bottom Briquettes/Killerclown's post - and it appears to be utter, made up nonsense (as usual).