Tyre choice for wide rims, another 25 - 28mm question

ingle
ingle Posts: 5
edited October 2018 in Road general
Tyre choices...

Currently I am running some 28c Schwalbe Durano tyres on my Fulcrum Quattro LG rims. On the wide rims they measure about 29mm.

I'll be moving these tyres onto my winter wheels and will be getting the some ever popular Continental GP 4000s II's for next spring / summer, but I'm undecided whether to get 25mm or 28mm.

My Fulcrum rims are designed for 25mm, and are likely to take a 25mm tyre and when fitted I imagine it will end up measuring close to 28mm (as wider rims do this, also I've read the Conti GP 4000s II's also measure up a little wider than stated).

What I don't want is getting the Conti 28mm and when fitted they end up mushrooming on the rim and measure at 30mm or more.

Anyone been in a similar position? and perhaps got these 28mm Conti's on wider rims?

Thanks

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ingle wrote:
    What I don't want is getting the Conti 28mm and when fitted they end up mushrooming on the rim and measure at 30mm or more.

Better get the 25s then. These will measure 28mm on those rims.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    to help. on 303 firecrests 25mm gp4000s measure 27.8mm using calipers, vittoria corsas and schwalbe ones 25-26mm (for 25mms)

my 28mm 4000s measure 31mm on these rims. the rims are around 17mm internal widt and around 26mm external.
  • at 17mm the Quattro LG really aren't all that wide

I've got GP4000Sii 25mm on a 16mm rim and they measure right on 27mm

Personally I would't go bigger than 25mm tyres on the Quattro LG as the cornering will suffer with anything bigger.
    With bigger the profile falls away too quickly and makes cornering at the limit flighty