Newbie Q re Elite Direto Compatibility

newtoit
newtoit Posts: 23
Hi! Sorry, bit of a dumb question guys but I can ride (a bit) but no good with maintenance or tech stuff. It's not that I haven't tried to learn ... I can grasp things initially but can't retain them 3 days on (duh). So things have to be explained in very basic language for me. Anyway to my question. I am in the process of having part of an outbuilding sectioned off (3.75m x 2m) for use as a dedicated training space and power/light installed, and having done some research have concluded that an Elite Direto will meet my requirements. I plan to use my hardtail mtb permanently with the indoor trainer and use my ATB outdoors and not swap things around. But I can't quite understand if my mtb will be compatible with the Direto or not. (It has a 11spd Shimano cassete and QR levers). What things do I need to consider in terms of compatibility between the Direto and mtb and how difficult will it be to set the thing up initially? And does anybody got any "must-have" suggestions for the training space (I've specced a number of power points, have an opening window and plan to have a cement finish on the floor painted with a non-slip finish)?

Any help much appreciated. Sorry again for the dumbness!

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,128
    Direto is compatable with 142mm MTB frame spacing, it comes with spacers you need to put in, alongside the QR or thru axle spacers. Not difficult to set up. There are are plenty of unboxing guides on Youtube e.g. GP lama if you're really struggling, but it wasn't hard to put together or set up.

In terms of what to consider - make sure your outbuilding has good Wifi. You'll want to use with something like Zwift, Fulgaz, Rouvy, all of which need a Wifi connection, and a pretty strong one if you're streaming video.

The other crucial thing is cooling, you'll struggle to do a decent session without a really good fan; I recommend looking for "High Velocity" e.g. the sort of fan you get in gyms. Open windows will help - but not as much as a fan. I also now have mine on a Wifi plug so I can warm up for 10 minutes then switch it on from my phone.

Other niceties are decent spot to put a TV, PC or tablet and if you can't reach it from the bike some form of remote control / wireless mouse/keyboard. I also have my bike close to a shelving unit so I can store extra bidons/food/aforementioned remotes and a hook to store a towel on within easy reach.
  • I'd give serious thought to where you put electrical sockets. You can never have too many and they're cheap as chips. Even if you don't initially gave things hooked up to a big TV initially, you need too plan where that will go - wall mpunted or free standing.

Definitely need a fan or two and if your going down the route of a big TV set up, I'd buy an Apple TV box. I had no end of trouble getting stuff like FulGaz and ZWift to work. Bought an APPLE Tv and everything is great.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'd give serious thought to where you put electrical sockets. You can never have too many and they're cheap as chips. Even if you don't initially gave things hooked up to a big TV initially, you need too plan where that will go - wall mpunted or free standing.

Definitely need a fan or two and if your going down the route of a big TV set up, I'd buy an Apple TV box. I had no end of trouble getting stuff like FulGaz and ZWift to work. Bought an APPLE Tv and everything is great.

I'd echo the above and far better to have too many than have to try adding at a later date. I'd avoid B&Q etc for your cable and sockets and find a trade stockist like ERF, as they're much cheaper and don't sell the inferior quality crap from East Asia. You can get cheap cable trunking off eBay if you want to hide cables. I'd also consider a pack of remote plug adapters for operating fans. In the cooler months you don't want the fans on initially and can switch them on when you warm up without the need to stop.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Even with a hard floor you'll probably still want a trainer mat to collect your sweat and help deaden the sound (even though the Direto is reasonably quiet)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC