Rain

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited October 2018 in MTB general
When the weather is like this, raining in Birmingham, what do you do?.
.do you go out to get wet and muddy?
. I'm away from my bike but would go out either on a cheap bike, don't really want to trash my best bike or more likely put waterproof outfit to go for a walk...

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    If it’s warm just sling the waterproof on and get the winter hack bike out. It’s fun in its own sort of way!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Winter hardtail, I trashed my FS by riding it through winter last year, had to replace 2 bottom brackets and a full set of frame bearings @ only 9 months old. Decent mud guards help, aswell as having winter routes that avoid the mud.

But generally if it’s raining I don’t ride, although I’m down South so I imagine it rains a bit more up there!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I remember one cold wet Sunday in January 1986, about 22 of us went for our monthly group ride of 6 hours. Water and mud was everywhere, feet were wet from dropping below the water line in ruts. But everybody was in good spirits as we were having a great time with banter and laughter.

Everyone thought it was the best ride we'd had in a long time, weather is what ever you set your mind to.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • As long as you have the clothing to keep you in reasonable comfort for the conditions, you can ride in any weather. Just be prepared to increase the bike maintenance if you ride in wet muddy conditions regularly. A full bike clean and re lube after every muddy ride ideally. I’d opt for black cycle wear in the mud, as the staining never completely comes out of coloured clothes.

The only real drawbacks for me weather wise are when it’s around zero degrees and it’s particularly wet. Cold wet feet are not fun. No matter how good the footware is, once you’re out for more than an hour in the mud at freezing temps it gets uncomfortable for me. So I limit myself to rides of about an hour long when it is the depths of winter.

Otherwise everything goes!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    02GF74 wrote:

Rain in Birmingham isn’t really a concern for me as I don’t live anywhere near there. :wink:

If it is raining locally I’ll just put a waterproif jacket on and ride. I actually quite like riding in the rain.
    The worst part of it is getting changed afterwards as SWMBO won’t let me in the house if I am dripping wet mud so I have to change in the garage.

I have used my fs every winter and never had a problem with it. Cleaning and lubing after every ride is the key to ensuring it all runs smoothly.
    I don’t get the summer bike/winter bike thing. Decent bikes are designed and built for all weather. Ride whatever bike you want, take care of it and it will be fine.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • wot he said ^
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wot both of them said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    JBA wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:

Rain in Birmingham isn’t really a concern for me as I don’t live anywhere near there. :wink:

If it is raining locally I’ll just put a waterproif jacket on and ride. I actually quite like riding in the rain.
    The worst part of it is getting changed afterwards as SWMBO won’t let me in the house if I am dripping wet mud so I have to change in the garage.

I have used my fs every winter and never had a problem with it. Cleaning and lubing after every ride is the key to ensuring it all runs smoothly.
    I don’t get the summer bike/winter bike thing. Decent bikes are designed and built for all weather. Ride whatever bike you want, take care of it and it will be fine.

Fire her.

That's a bit sad. Mine even suggested I put the bike in the bath and give it a shower.

She's special.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    cooldad wrote:
    Mine even suggested I put the bike in the bath and give it a shower.

She's special.

She’s a keeper.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    JBA wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Mine even suggested I put the bike in the bath and give it a shower.

She's special.

She’s a keeper.

You're damn right.

Her love/hobby is cooking. And she's bloody good at it.

She'll even play with pet snakes (that's not mine, obviously).

44407981345_7d4349ea6b_b.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    I’m lucky enough to be able to ride when I like at least three or four times a week
    Unless Arther and Itis decide to visit my knees n hips rain is just water and as someone
    Just said Mtb,s are designed for that sort of treatment just ride and be thankful
    For the ability
    Cool dad you sound as lucky as me, Mine even likes her Beer and can keep up with me.
    Whoops who did that!
  • 02gf74
    JBA wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:

Nor me, I just happened to be there at the time of the posting.
    ..i must be getting soft in my old age. :(
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Go out and get wet and muddy on my nice bike, then service whatever needs servicing along the way.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • You can only get so wet. There is no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong kit. #5 #9.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I don’t get the summer bike/winter bike thing

It’s a pretty simple concept, 2 bikes, one you ride in summer and one you ride in winter.

Winter conditions require more maintenance, hence I have a hardtail for winter which requires less maintenance, which leaves me more time to ride my bike.
  • 02gf74
    I braved the very very light drizzle to get to work, it's not so much the rain but the mud that I have an issue with, I wore a pair of cheap Chinese waterproof shorts on top of my cycling shorts which although weren't totally waterproof, did help in keeping me less wet than if I did not have them on.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I just ride in all weathers, bike is regularly serviced. Started to use a better grease on my bike than what is sold in the bike shops and no problems at all.

I have wrecked bearings in the past riding on salty roads.

A smear of grease where required and your bike be fine.